Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
> Personal Best Top Speed?
Takayuki-Kuroki
  Posted: Feb 7 2016, 08:35 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,502

Out of the realm of virtual reality, of course. No specifics required, just numbers. Possibly even ambitions..
Mine is 140 mph in my old FC RX-7. I'll be shooting for 260 km/h soon and 300 by the end of the year.
How about everyone else?
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 8 2016, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,055

Let's see, both my bests are in FD3S RX7s.

My first Innocent Blue FD3S saw 191mph/307kmh, and it would have went faster but a side seal on the rear rotor let out at that speed. My second and current Brilliant Black FD3S has seen 177mph/284kmh. Both cars were being built for very different things, though my current black car will be making much more power, it will probably still have a lower top speed. It can't be helped.

My scariest experience would be my SW20 MR2 at 171mph/275kmh, that car is extremely unstable at high speeds due to aerodynamic design at the nose.

The FD3S I feel comfortable holding the wheel with one hand even at speed, very balanced and stable.
PMEmail Poster
The J
Posted: Feb 8 2016, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

The Immortal Kaos Emperor
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 367

~160 in an R32 GT-R. Bolt ons with scramble boost at 1.1 bar and going downhill at the end. Front Splitter and rear Diffuser equipped vehicle with slight lowering. Anecdotaly observed since the stock speedometer starts banging off the starting peg around 145 mph ish. That .40 coefficient of drag is a killer on top speed.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 8 2016, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (The J @ 14 minutes, 43 seconds ago)
~160 in an R32 GT-R. Bolt ons with scramble boost at 1.1 bar and going downhill at the end. Front Splitter and rear Diffuser equipped vehicle with slight lowering. Anecdotaly observed since the stock speedometer starts banging off the starting peg around 145 mph ish. That .40 coefficient of drag is a killer on top speed.

I unfortunately never had the chance to test the max speed of my R32 GT-R, though I didn't have any form of aerodynamic mods, I did have a Blitz Access ECU, R33 N1 turbos and the Trust intake manifold with full bolt-ons. I would guess the results would be about the same, the .40 cd is a heavy factor compared to my other cars ranging in the .30-.32 cd range.

This post has been edited by HateSkylines on Feb 8 2016, 12:55 PM
PMEmail Poster
Takayuki-Kuroki
Posted: Feb 8 2016, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Exciting answers and info. My FC was all stock, short of a worn ACT clutch, full exhaust and an HKS pod filter. Hindered by excessive weight (convertible model) and being non-turbo, it was more so a factor of guts and patience. I consequently suffered a slight overheat upon decel. Car went on to see much more use before finally letting go. tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 8 2016, 01:50 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Takayuki-Kuroki @ 3 minutes, 30 seconds ago)
Exciting answers and info. My FC was all stock, short of a worn ACT clutch, full exhaust and an HKS pod filter. Hindered by excessive weight (convertible model) and being non-turbo, it was more so a factor of guts and patience. I consequently suffered a slight overheat upon decel. Car went on to see much more use before finally letting go.  tongue.gif

Did you swap the 13B out of it for a 13B-T or REW? I read that you planned to go faster later this year.

This post has been edited by HateSkylines on Feb 8 2016, 01:51 PM
PMEmail Poster
Takayuki-Kuroki
  Posted: Feb 8 2016, 10:55 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Got back to you in another thread regarding that, but yeah I have something different now. Gettin' ready to sell it. (Tis the season to make a buck, eh?) I'm planning on something fun though. Definitely turbo, and Nissan.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 8 2016, 11:37 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Takayuki-Kuroki @ 41 minutes, 50 seconds ago)
Got back to you in another thread regarding that, but yeah I have something different now. Gettin' ready to sell it. (Tis the season to make a buck, eh?) I'm planning on something fun though. Definitely turbo, and Nissan.

Can't go wrong with Nissan, what are you aiming to pick up?
PMEmail Poster
Benovelence
Posted: Feb 9 2016, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

<3 InuSakuya~

Member No.: 5,032

.40 drag coefficient hurts R32 the most compared to other entries from the GT-R line up.Is there a way to reduce the cd on the R32?
Theorycrafting Time!!!!
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 9 2016, 09:20 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Benovelence @ 32 minutes, 37 seconds ago)
.40 drag coefficient hurts R32 the most compared to other entries from the GT-R line up.Is there a way to reduce the cd on the R32?
Theorycrafting Time!!!!

It's quite difficult, though frontal aerodynamics are a huge factor, and can be somewhat corrected if you block off the side ducts and vent the radiator and intercooler out of the hood/bonnet properly (this applies to any road car being optimized for aerodynamics). I also imagine the grill between the headlights hurting as well as it only leads to the radiator/core support area with no proper way of venting the air out creating a high pressure area in the engine bay.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 2048 x 1152. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

The Dogzilla R32 GT-R Time Attack car seems to have the concept down, as do most modern day Time Attack machines.

The one thing that kills the R32, compared to the R33/R34's cd of .34-.35, is the rear window design. Being so steep it causes a low pressure area in which the air slows down and creates some choppy turbulence as the air tries to fill in the area (high pressure always tries to overcome low pressure, see Boyle's Law below).

The Lancer Evolution, Impreza, and S13 Silvia/Coupe, AE86 Coupe and S2000s using the factory or Mugen hardtop suffer from the same fate. The STi and Evolution try to counter this with vortex generators on the roof to improve air direction and velocity, though it only helps so much. There isn't too much you can do to counter the design of the cabin area of the body, as modifying it is something race teams would only see benefits in the research and development, and it wouldn't be allowed by almost any racing organization as it deters the vehicle from it's factory design and shape.

See Boyle's Law for more information regarding that law of air flow.

This post has been edited by MaikazeFD3S on Feb 9 2016, 09:22 AM
PMEmail Poster
Takayuki-Kuroki
Posted: Feb 9 2016, 01:36 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

QUOTE (MaikazeFD3S @ Yesterday, 11:37 PM)
Can't go wrong with Nissan, what are you aiming to pick up?

I'm looking for an S13 hatch.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 9 2016, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Takayuki-Kuroki @ 1 hour, 43 minutes ago)
I'm looking for an S13 hatch.

Type-X is life! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Benovelence
Posted: Feb 9 2016, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

<3 InuSakuya~

Member No.: 5,032

Is type X S13 sold in USA????
All S chassis cars sold in USA uses KA24 right?
>mfw Tomei starts making stroker kits for KA24

This post has been edited by Benovelence on Feb 9 2016, 08:20 PM
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 9 2016, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Benovelence @ 12 minutes, 22 seconds ago)
Is type X S13 sold in USA????
All S chassis cars sold in USA uses KA24 right?
>mfw Tomei starts making stroker kits for KA24

No, however it is common to grab the Type-X/Type-S body parts from Japan, and yes, all US S-Chassis are equipped with the KA24.
PMEmail Poster
Takayuki-Kuroki
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 01:26 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Type X is timeless for sure. And yes, US spec S13s and s14s use the KA24DE. I'm going to be building an S13 KA24 actually. Funny Benevolence mentioned Tomei stuff. They make a really nice looking bottom mount turbo manifold for the KA. A little bit outside the parameters of my budget build (generic bottom mount manifold and GT28 .64 with stock cams and some SR 480cc injectors, plus a few other things) . If I ever go crazy with a build down the road (forged internals, JWT cams, Xcessive intake and a GT35R), I just might try and use the Tomei manifold because it looks so smooth. Also that valve cover that proudly showcases the TOMEI namesake. Bliss.

Here's a pic of the Tomei spec KA24DE.

This post has been edited by Takayuki-Kuroki on Feb 10 2016, 01:27 PM

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

My brother and also an old member on here has a very high-spec KA24DE in his S14 using forged internals, entirely upgraded valvetrain and a very detailed cylinder head. He is also using the Excessive intake manifold and a one-off exhaust manifold, however he recently choose to take a different route with his running gear and has been parting the build out.

It's a shame because it was a solid 650HP set-up, the KA24 is quite overlooked, though it has it's design quirks and flaws...what Nissan built engine doesn't?
PMEmail Poster
Takayuki-Kuroki
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

QUOTE (MaikazeFD3S @ 17 minutes, 50 seconds ago)
what Nissan built engine doesn't?

More like "what engine doesn't", but totally. It's so overlooked because the SR is the lighter "JDM" option. But at the point of volume, the KA has an extra half liter almost. It's a shame to put down an engine of undeniable reliability and power potential, and with oil injection too. (Let's not mention the early rotary OMP though..)
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Takayuki-Kuroki @ 19 minutes, 47 seconds ago)
More like "what engine doesn't", but totally. It's so overlooked because the SR is the lighter "JDM" option. But at the point of volume, the KA has an extra half liter almost. It's a shame to put down an engine of undeniable reliability and power potential, and with oil injection too. (Let's not mention the early rotary OMP though..)

Where the KA lacks is in cylinder head flow rate, and ironically it has a very ideal rod to stroke ratio of 1.718. Still, due to sheer aftermarket, the SR20 seems to have an edge in all fields.

Yeah early OMP design is quite poor, but at least they were mechanically driven and not electronic like the FDs, which if the electric pump fails, it will simply not lubricate your engine at all. Still, the best OMP design is to not have one at all and just pre-mix, there is a much more even wear pattern across the rotor housing, not biased to only lubricating the center on the machined surface.
PMEmail Poster
Takayuki-Kuroki
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 05:29 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Seeing all of these posts late for some reason, but man you sure know your stuff. I'm thinking if I'll cover my build in a thread here (if allowed) once I get the parts together. Maybe start an IRL thread of member's cars, if not done already.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Takayuki-Kuroki @ 1 hour, 10 minutes ago)
Seeing all of these posts late for some reason, but man you sure know your stuff. I'm thinking if I'll cover my build in a thread here (if allowed) once I get the parts together. Maybe start an IRL thread of member's cars, if not done already.

Thank you, but it's just knowledge acquired from working in the modification/racing/automotive industry and building/racing my own personal cars for 10 years.

Please do post a build thread, those of us who all have real life builds do post them here, though this section has been more-or-less dead, it could use some life via your build progress.

We do have an IRL Member's Cars thread here in the automotive section sticky'd to the top of the forum.
PMEmail Poster
Takayuki-Kuroki
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 07:12 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

I sure hope so. I've thought about joining this forum for a couple of years but I was always not so into the games, until I moved recently. Shame to see it so un-lively. I'll check out that thread too for sure!
PMEmail Poster
Dare
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

Rehabilitated Troll
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 1,615

Please say these arent on public roads... Lol
PMEmail PosterMSN
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 08:28 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Dare @ 48 minutes, 30 seconds ago)
Please say these arent on public roads... Lol

I cannot claim or disclaim which speeds were achieved on tracks or on public streets.
PMEmail Poster
Takayuki-Kuroki
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

QUOTE (MaikazeFD3S @ 4 minutes, 3 seconds ago)
I cannot claim or disclaim which speeds were achieved on tracks or on public streets.

Hahahaha.
PMEmail Poster
JDMMA70
Posted: Feb 11 2016, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 123

142mph in the MA70, let off because I was getting nervous. Goal is 190mph for that car.
135mph in the Miata topped it out wouldnt go any faster.
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options 2 Pages  1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll