Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
> Which one is better Initial D or Wangan Midnight?, Why?
skyliner34
  Posted: Oct 11 2007, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Speed King

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,040

Me personaly i saw both series and I like them very much but,which one do you think has more action Initial D or Wangan Midnight?

My opinion I choose Wangan Midnight because I fill more action than Initial D series.But still I like them both.

Takumi and Akio rules!!!

This post has been edited by skyliner34 on Oct 11 2007, 10:32 AM
PMEmail PosterMSN
The J
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

The Immortal Kaos Emperor
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 367

Wangan midnight- There's legitemate explanations for why everyone has their cars. Most people are adults with real jobs, and Akio suffers greatly in normal life for his expensive choice of hobby.... Oh yeah realistic protagonist that loses and crashes... a lot! Even though he's become incredibly good at a difficult thing he's not perfect in the least. I find it easier to identify with the Wangan characters. The Initial D guys tend to be a little archetypal and overdrawn. Still a fun fun read/watch though.

This post has been edited by The J on Oct 11 2007, 10:42 AM
PMEmail Poster
skyliner34
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Speed King

thats true,wangan characters are more real than Initial D characters.thats one thing that I really like.the big question is when takumi is gonna crash and repear th AE86 with his own money!!!
PMEmail PosterMSN
AsakuraZ
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Callsign: Chaser

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (skyliner34 @ Today at 11:53 AM)
thats true,wangan characters are more real than Initial D characters.thats one thing that I really like.the big question is when takumi is gonna crash and repear th AE86 with his own money!!!

When he stops working with Project D? The last damage to his car was the suspension after the Godfoot race..And Project D foot the bill, since he is racing for them for free basically.

On the mangas and shows, I like both equally, but I tend to always shift to Initial D just cause I enjoy the style of the show more. That and I enjoy Initial D Arcade Stage 4 ten times over Maximum Tune 3.

Oh and I love the crap out of Eurobeat too.

EDIT: Oh and really this title should be, "Which one do you enjoy more?". No one can really tell you which one is better. Its all opinionated.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Dark Magician Ka..
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 808

I like both Initial D and Wangan Midnight, but I prefer Wangan Midnight over Initial D.

Reasons:

1) I like a LOT more characters in WM than in ID, especially Eiji, Maki, Akio, Reina, and Masaki.

2) The cars look great in WM (especially Eiji's Evo V, Maki's Evo VI, and Akio's S30.)

3) I hated the way the ID race between Takumi and Kyouichi at Irohazaka ended.
PMEmail Poster
Midnight Star
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

N-NANI?!?!

Group: Core Members
Member No.: 33

I tend to like initial D a bit more than wangan midnight anime. It's just got more action
PMEmail PosterMSN
dk-2
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 06:16 PM
Quote Post

fuck this game

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 748

You shoud've made this a poll. But if it's comparing the anime Initial D gets my vote. happy.gif Cause the series is so bomb. But game wise? Currently I would vote wangan Midnight. Way better than ID now. laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
Syren
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 09:57 PM
Quote Post

WME C1 Runner

Member No.: 1,089

I prefer Initial D for the ART, I don't like the WMMT art nearly as much in-game. Storyline so far, I like Wangan Midnight alot more. As previously mentioned it's alot more realistic and in-depth.

I prefer WMMT the game more because I find ID a little too technical to the point of being less fun, I enjoy the speed of WMMT more, better music and graphics and a *little* less stressful.

I'm pretty bad at driving/racing games (for now, I never really played them hardcore until WMMT3) and although I struggle alot with WMMT, I found ID much much harder and money-sucking because of all the losses I piled up..
PMEmail Poster
Midnight Star
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 10:56 PM
Quote Post

N-NANI?!?!

Yeah, the Wmmt game is a lot better than ID since it ads different elements to the game like dress up and outrun. Also, the story mode is a lot better.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Jon Michael
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 11:15 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer 310: Sky

Member No.: 65

Idk...Wangan Midnight is really the one I enjoy more. I love Initial D...but, there are a lot of things about the show that get to me. And, I have just about had it with Takumi's dumb luck winning. Takumi seems to be god, and Akio is Devil, lol. I love expressway racing more, and I love the characters in WM more (except Keisuke). I REALLY think they are giving the Evo the shaft in Initial D. They keep throwing every single Evo (III-VII) at us, and they keep losing for stupid reasons.

I love Initial D, but I LOVE Wangan Midnight.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
drew12_5
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

WME Regular

Member No.: 1,066

I'm going to say Initial D, only because I've only seen 2 episodes of Wangan midnight. But from the sound of it I might be changing my mind.
PMEmail Poster
Japantoine
Posted: Oct 12 2007, 01:55 AM
Quote Post

WME C1 Runner

Member No.: 959

tell me somethings guys.....is there any wangan midnight on dvds in english sub? i tried ebay but only the videogames appeared. i know there are 4 epi on this web but i really would like to watch the whole series. geez i cant wait hehe
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
BDDEE@
Posted: Oct 12 2007, 03:26 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 810

QUOTE (Syren @ Today at 3:57 PM)
I enjoy the speed of WMMT more, better music and graphics

music agree'd to a point, i still rather eurobeat over some of the songs on MT
however graphics wise? compared to ID4 maximum tune aint got shit
game modes wise, MT has more to offer but to me ID is more fun, since all i really do is TA anyway, im not saying im good at MT however i picked up MT rather fast and can match some of the people who have played for ages times so to be decent at the game isnt very hard unlike ID... but of course the pro aspect is just as hard in its own way
and for the cartoons, you have to remember the initial d cartoon is pretty old now, where as MT is fresh on the scene
my preference is ID>MT in all aspects... but to each his or her own

This post has been edited by BDDEE@ on Oct 12 2007, 03:30 AM
PMEmail Poster
roxas3
Posted: Oct 12 2007, 04:22 AM
Quote Post

Camera freak and loving it!

Member No.: 1,131

I think both have their advantages and disadvantages...

Initial D
Advantages
- Much faster pace action
- Better art overall

Disadvantages
- Takumi/Keisuke has a lot of luck riding on them, making them impossible to lose
- Any other characters (apart from the main ones) are totally shallow in characteristics
- A much more shallow storyline
- Highly unrealistic situations of racing in it

Wangan Midnight
Advantages
- Great character development in both the main and supporting characters
- Much more realistic in the driving/racing department
- Storyline keeps changing with every new challenger

Disadvantages
- Artwork for one...
- Not a lot of relationships is explored here but then again, would you expect Reina and Akio hook any time soon?

Overall, I do prefer Wangan over Initial D as the characters are more richer in their development and all races don't suffer the 'Initial D Hero Syndrome' where the hero constantly wins through sheer luck....I truly wish Takumi lose a lot now...
PMEmail Poster
Midnight Star
Posted: Oct 12 2007, 04:39 AM
Quote Post

N-NANI?!?!

Im hoping the anime will liven up soon, its quite bland at the moment. Initial D has more characters which makes the plot more diverse. And those characters are re-occurring which makes it interesting.
PMEmail PosterMSN
skyliner34
  Posted: Oct 12 2007, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Speed King

I think soon or later Akio and Reina will hook up,we just have to wait until the makers of the series make akio and reina to hook up,it will be a perfect match.it will be cool if you have a girlfriend has a model and you a car freak,living together.
I wish that happens to me seens im a car freak.

Another thing,I think wangan midnight it gonna replace Initial D for a quit bit time,Initial D needs a rest and give a opportunity to wangan midnight.
PMEmail PosterMSN
AsakuraZ
Posted: Oct 12 2007, 08:49 AM
Quote Post

Takumi/Keisuke has a lot of luck riding on them, making them impossible to lose

Keisuke's wins are all skill. He is a skilled driver, driving a well tuned FD. Most of his races in Fourth Stage he simply outclassed his opponents, the only real exception being Godfoot.

And dont expect too much from Reina and Akio. Akio is still much a loner, really focusing on his car more than anything. You could kind of but him and Takumi in the same class, personality wise. Even though in the Initial D manga Takumi is getting friendly with a girl who is a professional golf player.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Jon Michael
Posted: Oct 12 2007, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer 310: Sky

Member No.: 65

Yeah, Keisuke's wins are never luck. He knows what he's doing and is amazing at it. Takumi has even said he is a better driver than him, and he couldn't keep up with Keisuke. Keisuke is also not driving a 22-27 year old, underpowered car. He has a perfect touge attack monster. One thing that not many people remember, Takumi is a good driver because his father trained him to be that way from the point when he was in 7th grade. Keisuke is a good driver out of his own raw and natural talent.

I really hope Akio does not ever "hook up" with Reina. Her character annoys me, personally. Besides Akio being a loner, Reina considers him her rival. That wouldn't fit well. And, you can't race well when you have feelings for the other driver. You will think about their safety and be pre-occupied. I'm glad the manga never puts Akio with anyone...I am really let down that they are doing more girl things with Takumi. What will Natsuki think when she visits?
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
The J
Posted: Oct 12 2007, 10:02 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Initial D the new soap opera.... yuck.

Last time on Initial D.. the soap: Takumi won the heart of a new girl by using his teeth to grip the steering wheel and drift down the mountain; but then Natsuki heard about his exploits only to find him in the arms of another girl. She returns to whoring herself out.. to Bunta; who was upset that Takumi figured out Bunta's secret teeth technique. Bunta then betrays Takumi by teaching Keisuke that the best counter to Takumi's driving is to use his feet!!!!...

seriously though it does seem like Shigeno has had a lot of trouble dealing with women as evinced by his other writings and work. It kinda sucks considering it also seems like it's projected onto all the characters since they all seem to be completely clueless as to what to do if there is a naked lady alone with you... You... um... heel toe downshift to drift around her right??? damn it... wrong again.
PMEmail Poster
AsakuraZ
Posted: Oct 12 2007, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

I dont feel its Shigeno that has a problem with relationships, its just the way he writes his characters. I guess a thing you have to keep in my mind is it is a different culture you are reading about.

Iketani's relationship with Mako ended simply due to a misunderstanding and the fact that he has real low self-confidence with himself. If not for the whole "him finding Ryosuke's picture in her wallet" situation, I think things would of worked out well with them.

Takumi and Natsuki, is will a wierd situation to begin with. She was having a relationship with a older man, and Takumi was really coming out of the shell he was in. Eventually they reconcile there differences in Third Stage and even end up in a hotel. Your imagination is left up to that one.

Into Fourth Stage the focus becomes Project D goal of beating racing teams throughout the area. There is a minor focus on Itsuki's relationship, which doesnt end too well for him due to Wataru's sister getting back together with her original flame. Keisuke's relationship never worked out because he is too geared toward racing. He knows he cannot balance both things and still keep up with his rival. He his just too devoted to the sport.

I think that this relationship Takumi is having is something fresh for the series. He really hasnt had any focal point story on him since the end of Third Stage. Since Fourth Stage, its really just focused on all the characters of the series at the same time. Love it or hate it.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
The-chosen-knight
Posted: Oct 12 2007, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

GodArm of Wangan

Member No.: 760

Wangan all the way.

Im sick of seeing Takumi winning ""ALLLLLLL THE TIME "!!!

im like.. WOHO! new episode.......and then I slow down.. like.. whats the point Takumi will somehow show off some GOD like technique and WIN! biggrin.gif no point.

AKio crashed.... lost..... and is getting better little by little.. *REALISTIC*! finally a racing anime in which the main guy actually loses and gets better by the moment.

This post has been edited by The-chosen-knight on Oct 12 2007, 11:38 AM
PMEmail Poster
The J
Posted: Oct 12 2007, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

I understand that it's a different culture. Trust me. I understand. (I speak 5 languages, lived in Asia half my life and have an Asian cultural studies minor). I understand in a relatively repressed culture it's hard for people to openly express themselves to each other. My problem with the way the series deals with it is- With the exception of Kenji they've all had experience dealing with women yet they learn almost nothing from it or at least it doesn't seem to manifest in later relationships. Itsugi has been robbed of girlfriends seemingly just to keep the running gag of itsugi not ever getting a girl... If it happens again I think it's gonna stop being funny. What would be MORE amusing is if a girl liked Itsugi but he couldn't stand her! Keisuke I can understand. He doesn't want to be torn between his attention for the girl and his love of racing. I think this is by far THE BEST way Shigeno illustrates the point that Keisuke realizes that he wants to commit his life to racing and is willing to let go of everything else to attain that goal. However it's kinda unfortunate that the meaning of the moment gets lost in a series where the male leads lose their girls constantly. Why even bother with the other relationships if you're not gonna address them later is my beef. It ends up being fluff we can do without.

It just gets boring to see the archetype again and again. The rivals also come from the same cookie cutter mold. Shingo/ Nakazato and Lan Evo guys... Project D and Saitama Alliance (With the Imperfect Ryosuke clone and the levin guy etc), feux Project D. While it's fun to see the good guys come out from overwhelming odds it adds far more to a story to see once in a while that which we never want to see but in all probability always happens:

The good guys are robbed of an opportunity because they are too courteous. The jerks win through dirty tactics. There's nothing Project D can do about it. Evil prevails.
That's how you keep things like Superman interesting. People read Superman because he's supposed to be an invincible winner and yet he's defeated by things one would not normally think a person like that is vulnerable to (and I'm not talking about Kryptonite either).
Takumi is worse than Superman in the invincibility department. What his story needs is a fall and a response to having to claw his way back to the top... and not that engine blow out crap where he's recovered in less than a season!!!! They've made more than enough guys to focus on characters OTHER than Takumi. (Mako maybe.. or the Night Kids getting better??)

That's what's great about Wangan- you have characters that aren't really concerned with winning the races as much as they are concerned with bettering themselves and learning to grow. There's no evil enemy out there to defeat (except flash in the pan R200 Crub). The DevilZ maybe... but really that's saying the enemy is you. You're fighting fear and inexperience. Something to think about.

This post has been edited by The J on Oct 12 2007, 12:16 PM
PMEmail Poster
skyliner34
  Posted: Oct 12 2007, 06:53 PM
Quote Post

Speed King

Its true finally a REALISTIC anime series that the main character loses and the best part is he doenst sorrender,if he loses he will go up again and star all over again(the car)and give it a try again.The point is any thing is possible if you are positive,no matter what is on front of you. wink2.gif

Takumi needs so vacation for real!!!!

PMEmail PosterMSN
roxas3
Posted: Oct 13 2007, 04:09 AM
Quote Post

Camera freak and loving it!

Member No.: 1,131

Yeah, maybe I've been reading too deep within the lines about Reina and Akio. Apologies over that and as well as the misunderstanding over Keisuke's skill. But I do feel that both writers do have remarkable similarities...
PMEmail Poster
Dark Magician Ka..
Posted: Oct 13 2007, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 808

QUOTE (Jon Michael @ Oct 11 2007, 09:15 PM)
I REALLY think they are giving the Evo the shaft in Initial D.  They keep throwing every single Evo (III-VII) at us, and they keep losing for stupid reasons.

I can't believe that I didn't think of that earlier.

It seems that either Shigeno hates Evos (probably because he likes AE86s and STIs) or it is just by chance that the Evos suffered the same fate of all of the other Initial D cars that have lost.

Just another reason to dislike Initial D (ironically the great appearance and performances of the Evos in Initial D Arcade Stage also really got me into Initial D.)

This post has been edited by Dark Magician Kamiya on Oct 13 2007, 10:14 PM
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options 3 Pages  1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll