Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

24 Pages  « 21 22 23 24  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.  Rate:  
> Oddmanout84's Z build, Not your Devil Z
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 05:55 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,693

QUOTE (StraightAwayZ @ Jun 15 2011, 03:10 AM)
Haha im with you on that- Its like its own little world. Sadly that world is currently mostly unemployed and being run into the ground, but its own world none-the-less.

OMO, you might like vegas- Avoid the strip, but the car scene isnt bad at all- Weve got a brilliant circuit at the LVMSW, and a few more within a small hop. The one at spring mountain (about 40 minutes away) is by far one of the -best- courses I've been too. It was built to be an auto-club (with a very, VERY ridiculous buy-in to be a member, thank god for track days) from the ground up to test, train, and build driving skills. The track is nothing but the most difficult types of corners you can imagine (on purpose), woven tightly together in a way that will make the largest of men cry in fear. Off camber increasing/decreasing radius corners followed by chicanes that lead into sweeping straights with a SHARP "dip" mid curve (youd best be settled at the triple digit speeds you hit around it or you WILL go spinning) and blind corners over hills with braking zones that you cant see. Does it sound like torture? Probably. Do you feel like youre a man when you're able to nail a lap? It should- Because each one you do puts a little more hair on your chest. I cant wait to go back.

I've been to Vegas before to visit my estranged grandfather, while I lived in SoCal. Poking around Nellis trying to see interesting aircraft was probably the highlight of the trip. I never knew about the race track, sounds interesting.
PMEmail Poster
StraightAwayZ
Posted: Jun 24 2011, 01:38 AM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,547

I love the air-shows Nellis puts on. Ive a buddy who was in the chair force (Hes now a civilian contractor on-base doing the exact same job for more money) and gets us into them for free. It made my day when they brought out the f22- It was the pilots last day to fly in an f22, needless to say he put on one -hell- of a show.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jun 24 2011, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

QUOTE (StraightAwayZ @ 4 hours, 19 minutes ago)
I love the air-shows Nellis puts on. Ive a buddy who was in the chair force (Hes now a civilian contractor on-base doing the exact same job for more money) and gets us into them for free. It made my day when they brought out the f22- It was the pilots last day to fly in an f22, needless to say he put on one -hell- of a show.

Did they have CFR drive over and douse him with a fire hose as he exited the cockpit? That's what we did to our outbound pilots, lol.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 07:56 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

A lot has been happening with the car recently, but mostly boring stuff. Frankly, this is probably the worst time I've ever had working on the Z. So much prep work, rust killing, and finding I need additional parts to "do it right". It's maddening. Add to the fact that my income has been cut short until later this summer, so my budget is wearing thin (as well as my patience). Luckily, I have "most" of what I need to get things done to a point. weather has been a limiting factor to what I can paint and reinstall.

Adjustable coilovers have been pushed back to the beginning of next summer, at the soonest. I just want to get this on the road before the snows come again, if only just to break the engine in.

user posted image
The 240sx transmission is essentially finished and ready for installation. I decided to get a new front cover assembly, since the stock aluminium version had a nasty groove worn into it from the throwout bearing sleeve. Apparently Nissan upgraded the part, and the new one I received is now made from steel. Much better.

user posted image
Next on the agenda is running the new fuel and brake lines. That's been put on hold until I get my new 1/2" tubing bender, since apparently the cheap $8 I got with the tubing is a piece of shit (go figure). I had to remove the diff to run the lines the way I want, and since it's been leaking like a sieve out of the pinion seal since the day I bought the car, I figured it was a good time for a rebuild.

user posted image
... clearances dictated that I remove the diff from the front of the car, and removing it gave me a lot less trouble than the first time, when I had nothing but a small hydraulic jack mounted on a skateboard instead of the trolley jack I have now. Still, I think I might make a bracket for the jack when I put it back in, since it will make things much easier.

user posted image
Cracking the diff open I was pleasantly surprised. The oil is incredibly dirty, but there's a respectable amount left. I expected it to be nearly bone-dry. Gears look in excellent shape, though there was a very large sliver of metal tacked on to the magnetic drain plug. You can still see the writing that Nissan made in paint marker on the ring gear.

user posted image
And this is some of the awful rust I'm dealing with. This spot just around the steering column mounts is the absolute worst. I tried to fix it years ago with some phosphoric acid solution, but it's gotten worse. This time I got a small POR-15 kit to completely seal it in. I wish I could access the panel on the other side and drill out the spot welds, but it's inside the cowl in a very tight place. We'll see.

Until I get the last of my supplies, I'll continue to refinish the interior and get is squared away. I hate painting.

This post has been edited by Oddmanout84 on Jun 29 2011, 08:00 AM
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jul 27 2011, 07:13 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

user posted image

Coming together... eventually...

[ Post merged on Jul 27 2011, 11:08 AM ]
I guess I could post pics of the new cooling setup too.

user posted image
user posted image

After about 2 months of waiting, it finally came in the mail. We'll see if it performs better than my old setup (which I suspect it will).
PMEmail Poster
TexasDemonZ
Posted: Jul 28 2011, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 2,359

The progress is looking really good man!
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jul 29 2011, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

It's slow. I never want to run hard fuel line again!!! mad.gif
PMEmail Poster
TexasDemonZ
Posted: Jul 30 2011, 12:28 AM
Quote Post

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 2,359

QUOTE (Oddmanout84 @ Yesterday, 6:43 AM)
It's slow. I never want to run hard fuel line again!!! mad.gif

Yeah, running hardlines is a b*tch....
I had to do it on my 240z a few years back for the whole brake system front to back. I'm probably going to have to run hardlines for the brakes and entire fuel system on my roommates 280 shell as well :/
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Oddmanout84
Posted: Aug 29 2011, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

It's in.
PMEmail Poster
StraightAwayZ
Posted: Sep 4 2011, 04:27 AM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

w00t! effen awesome man! Moar pictures.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Sep 5 2011, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

QUOTE (StraightAwayZ @ Yesterday, 4:27 AM)
w00t! effen awesome man! Moar pictures.

Most of the stuff I'm doing now is pretty boring... but I'll oblige in a bit.

Just don't expect any amazing new performance parts or new shinys for at least a couple months. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster
tofu_boy86
Posted: Sep 6 2011, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Hashiriya of the Touge

Member No.: 194

QUOTE (Oddmanout84 @ Yesterday, 12:06 PM)
Most of the stuff I'm doing now is pretty boring... but I'll oblige in a bit.

Just don't expect any amazing new performance parts or new shinys for at least a couple months. sad.gif

I know how that feels bro D=
PMEmail PosterMSN
StraightAwayZ
Posted: Nov 29 2011, 03:43 AM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

didnt die on us did ya?
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Nov 29 2011, 11:55 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Not dead yet.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: May 15 2012, 09:46 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o_C18ytst0 )
PMEmail Poster
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 15 2012, 11:47 PM
Quote Post

梓県警察峠部

Group: Core Members
Member No.: 223

I wish I were still a mod just so I could delete that post and penalize you for getting my hopes up that this thread had a juicy update.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: May 16 2012, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 9 hours, 25 minutes ago)
I wish I were still a mod just so I could delete that post and penalize you for getting my hopes up that this thread had a juicy update.

laugh.gif

I don't have any -juicy- updates to post, I just figured I'd drop in and post a symbol of "hope" that the project isn't dead after all... just progressing veeerry slowly.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jun 25 2012, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

The orange Zed doesn't sleep... she waits.

user posted image

Alright, I'm tired of your disingenuous assertions. Larger update dump coming soon. Provided I'm not killed in the meantime.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jul 18 2012, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

user posted image

So... not much has happened over the last year, and not much has been posted. There were a lot of reasons; money, life, Mass Effect 3, engagement... but mostly loss of interest. I got frustrated with how slowly things were progressing, how much extra was needed to get the car to go in the direction that I wanted. Because I can't sit still, I started a ton of new projects around the car while the engine was out/cold. These projects took a longer time than expected, and eventually overran the time that was allotted for the engine. I overwhelmed myself, and it all became too much. I still had no intention to sell it all away, but I needed to step back and take a break.

So after this year of shit and driving my wheezy little putt-putt (Mazda 3), I'm back. I'm dividing my time a little more strictly now, but because of what was going on last year, I still have a lot of projects to finish besides the engine.

The rear fenders still need the final stitching up, the gas tank still needs to get finished, the dash and interior still need fixing. And jesus christ, that f**king engine.

user posted image
The dash is shaping up nicely. It was covered in 40 years worth of dirt and mouse shit, and cracked to hell.

user posted image
I separated the metal frame from the foam and vinyl and got to work. First, the mounting for my Z is slightly different so I had to cut and weld in a new angled plate for the steering column area. Test fitting after test fitting ensued. A lot of it.

user posted image
Gauges temp installed and look ok.

user posted image
Glassed up the back of the vinyl to close up and hopefully prevent more cracks from forming. Then I foamed it up. Great stuff is awesome, but I still hate it.

user posted image
user posted image
Also made some better provisions for the three center gauges. They will now mount directly to the dash itself rather than in modded Z gauge housings.

user posted image
Maybe something devious here.

user posted image
The seat got a test fit too. I swapped in various thicknesses and angles of wooden boards laying around the garage to get a fit that was both comfortable and didn't prevent the door from closing. Still need to fab those rails up out of metal.

user posted image

Also went through the b*tch and a half job of getting these somewhat hard to find Momo's onto my pedals. It should have been simple, but it wasn't. Beyond the brake and clutch, the dead pedal needed a better backing plate so I had to fab one up and weld it to the old one in the tightest spot ever. The accelerator pedal has an angle to it that DOES NOT LIKE to work with aftermarket pedals. Drilling holes in it was a b*tch, because I also needed to account for the angle and position of the pedal f**king with the floor and carpet. In the end, I still had to remove a ton of that obnoxious ass "joot" padding under the carpet so the pedal wouldn't bind up.

user posted image
user posted image
That stupid little gas cap still needs to get welded in, but not before I fix the weird angle of the spout running to the tank and get it at least close to the stock angle.

user posted image
user posted image
Still need to find a f**king fan and shroud that will fit this tight ass sandwich mess, while still pushing enough air.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
The engine is just about 100% plumbed, but it still needs an exhaust downpipe and intake tubing completed for it to breathe. Still trying to decide what route to take with that.

user posted image
user posted image
Oil cooler is tapped in with a ridiculous amount of braided line to get the angles to work.

user posted image
user posted image
Stupid gas tank. It's a spare, but it's going to be my main once I weld the sump on and line it with POR-15. For now, I'm still just trying to clean out decades of varnish and gasoline residue just so it doesn't explode in my face when I weld.

And that leaves us with supersecret project Dirtf**k. I have this lovely little can of carb cleaner. Used parts from the 70's go into it, then they come out practically looking like they've never been used. But that's not really supersecret, is it?

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Pistons go in two by two...
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Maybe some day the truth will be revealed.
PMEmail Poster
The J
Posted: Jul 18 2012, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

The Immortal Kaos Emperor
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 367

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17sEq7HX2QE )

Keep it up. Everything takes time when you don't have an army helping you... That's why I have an army... wait.. fear2.gif
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jul 25 2012, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

user posted image

Total waste of my time. Fun though.

Can't hurt...
PMEmail Poster
StraightAwayZ
Posted: Nov 27 2012, 03:15 AM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

Cricket cricket
PMEmail Poster
Benovelence
Posted: Nov 28 2012, 11:10 PM
Quote Post

<3 InuSakuya~

Member No.: 5,032

did you CNC'd the head?and reaaaalllyyy waiting for this to be finished...can't wait to see how awesum that Z is going to be....
PMEmail Poster
S12 Drifter
Posted: Dec 2 2012, 04:30 AM
Quote Post

Devil Z31

Member No.: 2,996

i see what you did there with head coooling ports.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
fairladyzlover
  Posted: Jan 25 2013, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Member No.: 219

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options 24 Pages  « 21 22 23 24  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll