Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
> Why the 4th Generation Pajero is not sold in USA?, Can anyone tell why it won't sell there
leopauldelr
  Posted: Apr 29 2008, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,692

To everyone who read my thread:

As we know, the Pajero (or Montero to the U.S. market and Shogun to the British market) has reached it's 4th generation. Its like this:
user posted image

But I have a trouble: can anyone has the answers why the Mitsubishi Pajero cannot be sold in the U.S.? Can someone has the reason why this 4th generation Pajero won't be a Montero anymore? Please?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
AK-Z
Posted: Apr 29 2008, 02:35 PM
Quote Post

Grumpy old guy :p

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 206

Emission standards. That and how much it would cost to either ship units or establish a factory in the North america.
PMEmail Poster
The J
Posted: Apr 29 2008, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

The Immortal Kaos Emperor
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 367

Market forces also dictate the reduced desire for a vehicle of this type in this market as well.
PMEmail Poster
leopauldelr
  Posted: Apr 29 2008, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Hmmm... there's something else...

Could it be, poor safety rating? Poor crash test results?
Betrayal Jack Kn..
Posted: Apr 29 2008, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 2,001

It's also not as big as a Tahoe or Expedition so soccer moms won't feel safe in them.

Seriously, the SUV market is owned by soccer moms.
PMEmail Poster
AK-Z
Posted: Apr 29 2008, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (leopauldelr @ Today at 6:02 PM)

if its sold in europe, then it has crash test data (euro end cap). If it has crash data and can pass IM then I don't see why it can't be sold/imported here regardless of crash rating.
PMEmail Poster
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 29 2008, 11:52 PM
Quote Post

梓県警察峠部

Group: Core Members
Member No.: 223

QUOTE (leopauldelr @ Yesterday at 7:02 PM)

I swear to god, if your next post is a link to the Pajero getting poor crash-test ratings from the DOT, I am closing this thread and giving you a warning.
PMEmail Poster
AK-Z
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 01:14 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday at 11:52 PM)
I swear to god, if your next post is a link to the Pajero getting poor crash-test ratings from the DOT, I am closing this thread and giving you a warning.

haha. Why not do it already. Not much more can be said of this subject.

leopauldelr search automotive importation issues in google. All the answers you need is there.
PMEmail Poster
leopauldelr
  Posted: Apr 30 2008, 04:50 AM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today at 3:52 PM)

sing.gif I didn't say I was posting a link about the Pajero's poor crash test ratings. I cannot do that. I was asking the public why this 4th generation Pajero won't be a Montero in the U.S. market. Which means, why did Mitsubishi Motors North America discontinued the Montero name? Why it won't be sold for American people?

This post has been edited by leopauldelr on Apr 30 2008, 04:51 AM
_Z_
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 05:13 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 883

The montero's soul died after the super select body series lol
PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 01:09 PM
Quote Post

梓県警察峠部

QUOTE (leopauldelr @ Today at 5:50 AM)
sing.gif I didn't say I was posting a link about the Pajero's poor crash test ratings. I cannot do that. I was asking the public why this 4th generation Pajero won't be a Montero in the U.S. market. Which means, why did Mitsubishi Motors North America discontinued the Montero name? Why it won't be sold for American people?

Okay. Because you have a habit of asking questions you already know the answers for, and that's annoying as all get out.
PMEmail Poster
AMON
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 02:01 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Member No.: 2,598

There's no demand for that vehicle. And Americans--being typical Americans--would opt for the all-American-made Jeep Liberty if given a choice between vehicles in the same market segment.
PMEmail Poster
The J
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (AMON @ Today at 2:01 PM)
There's no demand for that vehicle. And Americans--being typical Americans--would opt for the all-American-made Jeep Liberty if given a choice between vehicles in the same market segment.

You seem not to realize how little American's value their own products. However you are right that there is dropping demand for the vehicle. SUVs and trucks are dropping like flies in favor of fuel efficient vehicles. Awesome. It's about time people ditched these eyesores. Sports cars I don't mind being low fuel efficiency, at least it gets you there fast and in style.. SUVs will burn that much fuel just getting motivated... and they're ugly. Absolute waste of human resources if you are buying one just for the sake of having an SUV.
PMEmail Poster
AMON
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 02:31 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

QUOTE (The J @ Today at 2:06 PM)
You seem not to realize how little American's value their own products.

You seem to have a delusional perception of the reality of the industry because American automakers have rigorously boycotted the presence of Japanese automakers for some number of years. In reality, of the nations that comprise North America, it's Canada that has little regard for a vehicle's country of origin. Proof of this can be found in the sales statistics for the Canadian auto industry: Canada's penetration of fuel-efficient (and, most notably, foreign) vehicles is so extremely high that it's literally unrivaled by every other country in the world, combined. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Australia heavily prefers their Australian-exclusive 8-cylinder muscle saloons, which is why they have their own unique rebadged iterations of Ford-derived motor companies, selling almost the same V8 sedans as sold in the United States.

The fact of the matter is an automaker's decision on whether to introduce a model into a particular market is banks heavily on demand; in the United States, there is obviously insufficient demand for a mid-sized/compact SUV with actual sport utility, especially when the weakening segment has already been completely claimed by Toyota's RAV4, Jeep's Liberty, Ford's Escape, et. al. Taking Canada as another statistical example, BMW's Z3 roadster (chassis code E36/7) was only offered in the top-of-the-line BMW M package in Canada because of the market's unique demand for 'the best of the best' when customers indulged in an expensive roadster. Similarly, Volkswagen decidedly doesn't offer the large majority of their turbo-diesel catalogue in the United States simply because there is nearly zero demand for high-economy diesel passenger vehicles.

I can go on forever about market exclusive models: Europe-only turbo-diesel Honda Civic, Canada-only Acura CSX, Japan-only Toyota Century, Europe-only Audi RS6, US-only Scion. These cars are sold only in markets where there is sufficient demand omitted from those without. And in the case of the Pajero, it seems that Mitsubishi has deemed that there is no need for them to continue this model in the American market.

This post has been edited by AMON on Apr 30 2008, 03:07 PM
PMEmail Poster
The J
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Here's what I'm basing my statements on

An article regarding poor sales of the Liberty

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...ESS02/711020426

An article regarding the best and worst picks for automobiles on Edmunds.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124988

Technically the Montero is discontinued because Mitsu not only sees demand dropping for it but also because it has no more $$$ to either market or conform it to US spec not to mention it's financially unstable.
http://www.automotivearticles.com/123/Mits..._Diamante.shtml

There are a few Americans that will go with American products simply because it's American. But you'll find the trend has been becoming more towards what you can get for for the price. There's even a commercial here in the US of Ford indicating their "quality is now equal with Toyota" (can you believe a company tacitly acknowledging they were inferior before?). You live in Canada. Don't presume to tell us what we do and don't like in such a condescending manner. Show me where the evil american auto industry has boycotted Japanese brands.

This post has been edited by The J on Apr 30 2008, 03:20 PM
PMEmail Poster
AMON
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

QUOTE (The J @ Today at 3:16 PM)
Don't presume to tell us what we do and don't like in such a condescending manner.  Show me where the evil american auto industry has boycotted Japanese brands.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=434054

Off the record, I was previously employed by DaimlerChrysler, building their sedans on the LX platform.

Regarding Mitsubishi's deteriorating consumer market share, the trend has been going on for many years; before the CT9A frame was introduced, the way I see it.

And 'condescending' where? PM me your analysis of what I've said.

This post has been edited by AMON on Apr 30 2008, 03:33 PM
PMEmail Poster
The J
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Ok after reading that I understand what you are saying and I stand corrected. However I don't really feel that to an average citizen these have much of an effect when buying an equivalent non US vehicle. Not as much anymore anyway.

I just felt that for you to say that to say I'm disillusioned, to indicate Americans are not as compelled to buy American products as you believe; was condescending. If you didn't mean it in that way I apologize; it just seemed unfounded for you to accuse me of being disillusioned and proceed to venerate the wonderful world of Canada... Again sorry.

I'm not a mod on this forum so by all means. Feel free to disagree with my views.

This post has been edited by The J on Apr 30 2008, 03:40 PM
PMEmail Poster
AMON
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Nah dude, it's cool beans between us. It's just that, even though I like imports, even I'm really upset about North America's own cars. We're suffering a lot from Japan/Korea's recently exponential runaway success; the auto sector in US and Canada has really taken a devastating blow this past year or two, and it's affecting employment and overall outlook from the suppliers (i.e., Magna) all the way to the dealerships. Our automakers are in for one extremely tough ride for at least the next five years.

This post has been edited by AMON on Apr 30 2008, 03:59 PM
PMEmail Poster
leopauldelr
  Posted: Apr 30 2008, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

You guys solved the problem! Congratulations! All of you have my thanks!

Oh! And Mr. Administrator, will you please kindly close my thread now? I guess everyone solved my trouble, without my help. THNX snap.gif thanks.gif

This post has been edited by leopauldelr on Apr 30 2008, 06:46 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 1 2008, 12:15 AM
Quote Post

梓県警察峠部

I don't understand you, so I'll leave the thread open...
PMEmail Poster
Midnight Star
Posted: May 1 2008, 12:54 AM
Quote Post

N-NANI?!?!

Member No.: 33

lols, Mr Administrator.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 1 2008, 03:10 AM
Quote Post

梓県警察峠部

Hahaha.

See, the part that worries me about this kid is the part where he says:
QUOTE (leopauldelr)
I guess everyone solved my trouble, without my help.

...which suggests that he was fully capable of providing an answer on his own. He has shown this behavior repeatedly over at Initial D World (i.e. creating a "help me" thread and then treating it as an "I'll teach you" thread), and while I have no real power over there, here I do and I refuse to stand for it. It's degrading, a waste of server space, and a waste of other members' time.
PMEmail Poster
AK-Z
Posted: May 1 2008, 03:16 AM
Quote Post

Hope I don't come off that way. Please inform me if I step on someones toes, or come off a little rash so I can explain and/or apologies. I am open to being corrected biggrin.gif.
PMEmail Poster
_Z_
Posted: May 1 2008, 05:32 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 883

Thanks mr administrator!
PM

Topic Options  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll