Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
> Necro-posting, Keeps forums alive
Protoman
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 11:25 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 4,735

After looking around, and finding some similarities on other forums...

Why is necro posting looked down upon? People get told to use search functions, and when they actually post in the relevant thread, they get blasted for it. This is one of the first steps that kill a forum's life. (speaking from experience)

The main question/feedback is...

Is there a way to get a message to all users that necro-posting is ok? Well... relevant necro-posting that makes sense, anyway...
PMEmail Poster
DOHC
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 11:27 PM
Quote Post

i like nuts

Member No.: 374

I am ok with it but if you want forum that hates it beyond words go to hybridz they hang you for necro.

They went as far as to have a video about search

Video

This post has been edited by DOHC on Apr 29 2009, 11:43 PM
PMEmail Poster
Protoman
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 11:44 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Interesting. Time to pull off some experiments. evilbrows.gif

Anyway, back on point, I don't understand why they'd be hanging relevant necro-posters when it works against their forum life.

Even if the conversation has been had before, people can always quote an answer in the same thread... and it still leaves open for some new speculation when a person replies.

Maybe people like being right, and that's it, end of post/story/topic/thread? Do that to all the threads in a forum, and it's pretty much shut down.

How do you get the message across when most other forums look down upon it? (I don't think advertising wme with bold letters stating "now with approved relevant necroposting!" would be necessary... unless... it is...)

EDIT: LMAO at the vid. Now if only they had some tips to use the search function to narrow down results to pages you'd actually take the time to sort through. Also hilarious that they emphasize searching and yet look down upon all necroposting. (some should be acceptable)

This post has been edited by Protoman on Apr 29 2009, 11:47 PM
PMEmail Poster
DOHC
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 11:47 PM
Quote Post

i like nuts

Some people do not have the time to search through 20 pages. Rather ask if anybody knows the information faster which takes all of the guesswork.

This post has been edited by DOHC on Apr 29 2009, 11:48 PM
PMEmail Poster
Protoman
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 11:50 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

That's why they should post a vid that actually gives specific tips on how to use the search function lol (maybe we should have one in this forum too)

But I was referring to bringing up old threads that are still open and haven't been posted on for a while, as opposed to starting new threads.
PMEmail Poster
DOHC
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 11:52 PM
Quote Post

i like nuts

Some of the members probably do not like the nostalgia that comes with opening old threads lol so they flame you for reviving them
PMEmail Poster
Protoman
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:02 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

lol - interesting theory.

We can't exactly tell people in this forum to "suck it up"... though it'd be interesting to laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
E86
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:04 AM
Quote Post

Lead Administrator
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 2

I still think it is a form of elitism. People are too quick to dismiss another person whenever possible. I find these people's actions so contradicting that I would not be able to express myself if I want to keep my professional image as an Admin.

--------------------
Okay, someone starts a new thread with a question. Gangs jump on the guy and scream why didn't he search first and claim similar threads already existed, but are unable to provide said links, but they made +1 comments anyways. More people came in to ask what's the point of the thread and can they have the thread closed yet. Again, no relevant links are provided up until this point. Finally, someone came in with a relevant link. Indeed, that was a duplicated thread. But the OP had to get told by at least 25 regulars before getting the link.

OP has another question to ask, this time he makes sure he searched first because he learned from his mistake. He found a relevant thread, but the thread is a couple months old. He can't start a new thread because a similar thread already existed. So he posted in that thread. First person responded to him with a "WHY YOU NECROPOST!!" Second person responded with "facepalm" and +1 comments continued for a page with seemingly no end to it.

Now tell me, how in the living world are we supposed to have a functional forums under this environment ? I don't know about you, but I would leave if I am the OP of that scenario.

Why, why can't we put down egoistic attitude aside and be helpful for once ? Don't be so quick to shoot down someone. Remember, a discussion is like an idea and concept, it never dies nor expires.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
DOHC
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:06 AM
Quote Post

i like nuts

Well old threads are like a old gf... you want use them but you dont want to be around them anymore after age.

Okay, someone starts a new thread with a question. Gangs jump on the guy and scream why didn't he search first and claim similar threads already existed, but are unable to provide said links, but they made +1 comments anyways. More people came in to ask what's the point of the thread and can they have the thread closed yet. Again, no relevant links are provided up until this point. Finally, someone came in with a relevant link. Indeed, that was a duplicated thread. But the OP had to get told by at least 25 regulars before getting the link.

We have a lot of that in this forum

This post has been edited by DOHC on Apr 30 2009, 12:09 AM
PMEmail Poster
Protoman
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Going to the question though... how can that message be made across the forum?

Well... without coming down too hard on everyone... nor sounding too tacky (The NEW WME forum! Now with APPROVED RELEVANT NECROPOSTING!!!)

There's gotta be a way to do it... get that mentality out of people's heads and what not... as much as I don't like bringing up past gf's. blink.gif
PMEmail Poster
DOHC
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:14 AM
Quote Post

i like nuts

Males do hate their Ex's but that would be a bad way to send the message of "ProNecroposting that is relevant in its boundaries "PRB
PMEmail Poster
E86
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:19 AM
Quote Post

Lead Administrator
Group Icon

It is hard to force that mentality out of everyone's mind since this is considered the norm on the Internet. When people see necroposting, they automatically relate that to bad forum behavior, regardless of the post content. I supposed the desire to have power over someone else also contribute to this mentality. It just sounds cooler when you point out someone else's mistake, even though it is not a mistake in actuality.
Kenji
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:20 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,019

There's certainly nothing wrong with necroposting, but some of them here hates necroposting because usually it leads to FLOODING. There was once the FLOODING is so severe that several prominent threads were pushed to page 2 and regulars were like "WTF!!!" when finding them and saw the last replies on each threads on page 1 belongs to a newcomer.

This post has been edited by Kenji on Apr 30 2009, 12:21 AM
PMEmail Poster
E86
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:24 AM
Quote Post

Lead Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kenji @ 3 minutes, 34 seconds ago)
There's certainly nothing wrong with necroposting, but some of them here hates necroposting because usually it leads to FLOODING. There was once the FLOODING is so severe that several prominent threads were pushed to page 2 and regulars were like "WTF!!!" when finding them and saw the last replies on each threads on page 1 belongs to a newcomer.

Still, nothing wrong with that if all those necroposts were on topic. What, we should put a limit on posts per day now ? We can never have too many posts that contribute to the topic.
Protoman
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:26 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

well it wouldn't have to be a hard made announcement... perhaps a... "friendly reminder" O_o

gotta make the forum stand out from the rest happy.gif Not sure if PRB-ing will sound... convincing
PMEmail Poster
DOHC
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:31 AM
Quote Post

i like nuts

Limiting is a bit sever and we learn past leaders of like Stalin is that limiting is bad in so many ways. How about a word count necessary for it to be posted?
PMEmail Poster
E86
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:31 AM
Quote Post

Lead Administrator
Group Icon

I am sorry, what exactly is PRB.. ? unsure.gif
Protoman
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:36 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (E86 @ 4 minutes, 15 seconds ago)
I am sorry, what exactly is PRB.. ? unsure.gif

DOHC coined it a couple of posts ago... pretty quick on acronyms lol

"ProNecroposting that is relevant in its boundaries"
PMEmail Poster
DOHC
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:36 AM
Quote Post

i like nuts

user posted image
"ProNecroposting that is relevant in its boundaries "PRB
PMEmail Poster
E86
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:38 AM
Quote Post

Lead Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (DOHC @ 6 minutes, 49 seconds ago)
How about a word count necessary for it to be posted?

I can say for sure right now at least 50 people will be unhappy about it. Minimal characters limit is implemented over at IDW. The current limit is set to 20. So your posts will have to be over 20 characters long in order to be posted. When I first implemented it, people would bypass that every chance they get by using emoticons or using excessive exclamations marks, questions marks, periods.. etc.

Later on, bypassing the characters limit was made to be a warnable offense. Then it stopped. A lot of people said IDW became "unfun" after that. To each of its own, some people were still happy such limit was implemented. We no longer see posts like "LMAO", "LOL", "WTF?" "facepalm" .. etc posts over at IDW. Instead, posts are now a little longer and the number of posts per day dropped significantly.

I am not sure if we should have that here on WME. It is certainly a big risk of ruining the atmosphere we have right now.
DOHC
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:40 AM
Quote Post

i like nuts

Yeah that would be bad then but how about singling out people who does it excessively managing....nvm that sound bad as well. We can keep it as things are and allow necroposting?best way not to kill
PMEmail Poster
Kenji
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:49 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,019

Hey Perry, there's other reasons why post counts in IDW dropped significantly. For instance, the arcade stage- the way SEGA ruined the 4th installment has made crowds stayed away from the game. This affects the posting rate in IDW since there's not much new people playing the game.

The anime's Stage 4 installment has ended like 2-3 years already and the one watching the anime is diverting to other animes. Diverting attention = drop in post count.

Certainly, there are more reasons why IDW has lesser people posting now other than the 20 word capping reason.
PMEmail Poster
Dare
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:51 AM
Quote Post

Rehabilitated Troll
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 1,615

The Reason behind the necroposting is whats relevant most of the time...

PMEmail PosterMSN
Protoman
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 12:55 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

well... it's not just idw, but I remember similar effects in id.com. It wasn't as severe, but there was still a significant impact.

The toronto thread is also a good example of how people communicate in under 20 characters. Malaysia, Australia and Singapore thrive on it too (at least those are the other threads I've visited)

Warning for people ragging on relevant necroposting works, but there's gotta be a faster, surefire way of letting everyone know at the same time...
PMEmail Poster
E86
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 01:00 AM
Quote Post

Lead Administrator
Group Icon

I've posted this "PRB" rule in WMMT section. It is the first bullet in the Important Rules at the top. Surely but slowly, we will change that mindset here at WME, but until then we have a long battle to fight.

Topic Options 3 Pages  1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll