Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.  Rate:  
> My Driveway (GC8 & CP9A), Displaying my Evo 5 and STI TypeR cars
my3awds
Posted: Jan 7 2010, 09:57 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,288

Contemplating the blue Mag Te37's, but not sure how well it would go with the red brembos.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
ej1power
Posted: Jan 8 2010, 07:09 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 395

it would definitely make u stare more at the brembos... but that might not be the best.... cuz thieves will also take notice.

but altogether, you could down the line even swap for some Endless breaks and it would look good too. (maybe i'm jealous?!!?)
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Jan 10 2010, 09:16 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,055

Looks like a converted one, but its awesome none the less!

Did you do it yourself? Buy it that way? All of your cars are so clean!
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Jan 10 2010, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Yup all the work was done by myself. Everything was transfered from an Evo. The rear glass, the floor pan, EVERYTHING. So the only thing left on it that's "Mirage" is 'some' of the frame lol. Here's some shots while we were removing the rear floor pan. You can see where we carefully spot weld removed the floor. The Evo and Mirage floors share the exact same weld spots, so it fit like a glove smile.gif

Old Floor:
user posted image

New Floor:
user posted image

Carefully cut and cleaned each spot weld section.
user posted image

Welded back up and seemed up. Looks OEM smile.gif
user posted image

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
SouthSideSlider
Posted: Jan 10 2010, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

Member No.: 3,439

i demand a biuld thread on the Evo5
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
peemyTNBow
Posted: Jan 10 2010, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Very complete.

Rays makes some nice wheels, it's a shame I don't care for their customer service. The guys at SSR and Work Wheels treat me well.

This post has been edited by BmwNeoType on Jan 10 2010, 03:33 PM
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Jan 10 2010, 03:39 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 3,055

If you have any more pics of the conversion, please post! That is awesome.
PMEmail Poster
ej1power
Posted: Jan 13 2010, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

nice pics. i love how detailed you were..... i expect the demand 4 mirages to increase from this! hahaha glad i got mine b4 this! oh and the trunk from the 4 will be here in a month bro! yay!
PMEmail Poster
Matz
Posted: Jan 13 2010, 11:58 PM
Quote Post

manila drifter

Member No.: 4,011

nice cars!!!
PMEmail Poster
ZMR_MokSpeed
Posted: Jan 14 2010, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 5,325

Not one but two GC8's you have in your possession when I would just like to own one.. mad.gif

Man you have some amazing cars. smile.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Apex Carver
Posted: Jan 16 2010, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

There's sex, and then there's Apex

Member No.: 2,777

Wow, my3awds, my hat's off to you.

Nice work.

worship.gif
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Jan 16 2010, 10:10 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Thanks for the comments. I'm a firm believer that if you use everything OEM in a project, it comes out alot better no matter how much longer the project takes. I have more pictures, but it's nothing really exciting. More angles of us cutting up the rear, and disassembling the rear cut, welding blah blah. I realized I didn't post pictures of the exhaust choice of my cars. (Again, please ignore the incorrect Evo 4 badging lol)

Blue GC8: NO PICS YET! lol I realized I have none, but it's the Prodrive Oval-type. I'll have to take some tomorrow.

Gunmetal GC8: GD STI axle back matted to an HKS 3" catless downpipe. It use to have a JDM Fujitsubo axleback, but it's become my daily driver recently. California Cops love pulling over cars with fancy looking exhausts and the Fujitsubo was definetly fancy. I miss it though...

Evo 5: JDM Blitz RealizeTT Evo 5-6 catback. Again living in Cali sucks for exhaust choices, so I imported this one and painted the piping black for more stealthness. The muffler really looks factory asside from the bling muffler housing that I'm thinking of spraying flat gray and just leaving the tip chrome.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by my3awds on Jan 16 2010, 10:13 PM
PMEmail Poster
Apex Carver
Posted: Jan 17 2010, 03:53 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (my3awds @ 5 hours, 42 minutes ago)
Thanks for the comments. I'm a firm believer that if you use everything OEM in a project, it comes out alot better no matter how much longer the project takes. I have more pictures, but it's nothing really exciting. More angles of us cutting up the rear, and disassembling the rear cut, welding blah blah. I realized I didn't post pictures of the exhaust choice of my cars. (Again, please ignore the incorrect Evo 4 badging lol)

I would be interested in seeing those pics, if you don't mind. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Jan 17 2010, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

~SIGH~ lol ok, but I won't post EVERYTHING because it would just be too much for this thread. So I'll just post important pics:

The bottom of the rear cut, floor section removed, and gas tank removed.
user posted image

All the rear components removed and preped for cleaning
user posted image

Process of removing each panel thats useless or the same as the Mirage
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Disassembly of the rear stock suspension
user posted image

user posted image

Spot weld cut EVERY single oem spot weld, and cleaned carefully each section.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Drop the stock rear floor pan.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Line up the new floor pan to go in
user posted image

user posted image

Weld-Thru primer the edges of the Evo floor pan, line everything up, self-tap screw the floor in, then go around and spot weld everything like OEM
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Clean everything up, grind smooth the welds, seem-seal the edges, paint the inside, truck-bed coat the wheel arches, DONE.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

WHEW, that took alot lol. I have pics of the front swap but please don't ask me to do that HAHA. The front suspension and wishbones all transfer over and are all bolt on. There's quiet a few swaps online already that have done this since the Evo motors drop right into the Mirage, so nothing new to be seen hehe. But I'm sure someone's gonna want to see it anyway ~SIGH~

[ Post merged on Jan 17 2010, 09:43 AM ]
It's funny , I just noticed I'm not in any of the pictures since I'm the one taking the photos. Makes it look like I'm making my white friends do all the work...sort of reverse slavery LOL (no offesne to any extremest out there)

This post has been edited by my3awds on Jan 17 2010, 09:39 AM
PMEmail Poster
Apex Carver
Posted: Jan 17 2010, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Thanks for posting that man. I like to see build threads like this. worship.gif

Hat's off to you. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Feb 7 2010, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Thanks smile.gif Here's a video I just uploaded of the Evo 5 rolling out of the garage. Get a simple idea of how it sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjE8uIyZWzM
PMEmail Poster
ej1power
Posted: Feb 8 2010, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

big ups again 4 posting this up bro! i have been needing this info for about 3yrs but no one would help a brother out! hahaha and i get you on the whole reverse slavery thing! hahaha same 4 me too!

1 Q for you tho..... what does it mean when u say to "spot weld cut" and also "self tap"? i get the general part about self tap as in like self tap screws, but r those bolts or screws? and im a newb when it comes to spot welding and cutting in metal.
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Feb 8 2010, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Well I'm not sure how much you know about how car manufactures put together cars so excuse me if I sound condisending. The way car manuf put together cars is by pieces. Floor pan, frame rails, firewall, etc all pieces. It would be very expensive and time consuming if they had to seem weld these parts together. While it's a performance gain to prevent chassis flex and it's sometimes what shops do when building track cars, it would just take the weight of the car up to seem weld everything together and raise the price of the car. So not to sacrafice regitity, weight, cost, the way they join 2 pieces together is by "spot welding". One piece will have holes along the edge of the piece, and the other piece will have marked spots where those holes will line up. Once it's all lined up, they weld only those small sections of holes.

So to remove a section properly while maintaining structural regidity, body shops will remove sections by 'spot weld cutting' these sections. It's basically just drilling out the holes on the top part where they filled it up with weld, and leaving the 2nd part uncut. This removes the top section from the 2nd section.

The self tapping screws is what you understand it to be. To line up the rear floor pan, it's hard to line up each section of holes and then weld them without them being held in place first. So to do this, you go over a small section, line 4-5 holes up, then use a self tapping screw to hold maybe 2 of those holes in place. Done with that section, repeat on another until the whole area is in place and ready for spot welding like the factory. After all the open holes are filled, you remove the self tapping screws, and spot weld in it's place. You can kind of see that if you follow the pictures above. Hope that helps some.

This post has been edited by my3awds on Feb 8 2010, 07:28 PM
PMEmail Poster
ej1power
Posted: Feb 10 2010, 10:27 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

that helps me big time!!!!! oh also as far as the stuff that is similar to mirage, what all would tht be? i know there are certain things i really dont have to have the jap part of, but i also dont wanna mistakenly cut it off too much either.

and lastly... in reference to the underside.... were there any pieces i need to fab mounts for?(awd hose lines or stuff?) and how should i prepare to get replacement parts? japan or evo 8's?

thanks you have been the biggest help to me and all those who know and have needed help in their conversions...
my car with my bros REAL evo wing..
user posted image
the rear end goal
user posted image
and my overall front look
user posted image
oh also have u ever seen this?? its soo cool... its made by garage HRS
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Feb 10 2010, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Well if you manage to get the rear cut like I did, you won't have to fab anything other than maybe the hangers for the drive shaft. On the Evo4-6, there are 2 hangers with studs coming out of them. On the Mirage, there is only 1 hanger with no studs coming out of it. Simple to fab up some bolts running top-down so no biggie. Thats it, everything else is there. Brake line bolt sections all the same, fuel lines all run the same, wiring goes through the same section, all of it.

Not really much you can use off an evo7-9. Only things that are transferable are:

engine
tranny and xfercase (not drive shaft)
motor mounts
rear under sway bar
struts / coilovers (drill out the holes of the knuckles up front a bit, since the evo 7-9 have slightly larger holes).
Brakes system
Seats
Steering wheel
5spd shift assembly (7-9 has slightly shorter throw and better solid feel. This can be installed into a mirage as is).
5spd shift knob (not 6spd)

That wing is a good start, but it's your brothers you say? I think I heard you say you got the trunk and reflectors coming in correct? I have a set of Evo 4 taillights I'll be selling soon if you're ever interested.

PMEmail Poster
ej1power
Posted: Feb 10 2010, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

we were gonna order the trunk but i lost my job so he just ordered the wing for his instead. it was really just a test to see if the guy he has in japan is legit and good enough. he seems to be. he only paid 150 for it all together, 70 for the wing and the rest in shipping.

and if i can get the trunk, i will deff need the 4 tails.
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Mar 15 2010, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Got a new Intercooler kit for the car so I thought I'd post pics smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Mar 15 2010, 11:47 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 6,576

So I'm guessing the Impreza are not real type R's but 2.5RS's with STi parts and...

got any pics of the underhood?
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 05:18 AM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

I posted pics on the first post of the underhood shot but here they are again

user posted image

user posted image

They are 95L's converted to Type Rs. There's no sense in spending thousands of dollars on an RS with a heavier chassis and body, when you can spend $900 or less on an L and transfer all the JDM body parts and save thousands. That's the route I went anyway. Again, the only thing left on the L's that are still "L" is mostly the frame and trunk (same as jdm & uk spec).
PMEmail Poster
Gio_55
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 05:45 AM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

Member No.: 4,832

sir i like to if is possible to convert an orig right hand evo 6 to a left hand drive w/ just buying a dashboard... and some harness kits....
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

Topic Options 4 Pages  1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll