Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.  Rate:  
> My Driveway (GC8 & CP9A), Displaying my Evo 5 and STI TypeR cars
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 06:02 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,576

QUOTE (Gio_55 @ 16 minutes, 24 seconds ago)
sir i like to if is possible to convert an orig right hand evo 6 to a left hand drive w/ just buying a dashboard... and some harness kits....

There's more to it than that.

JDM RHD and CADM/USDM LHD steering bezels are different - as in the turn signal stalk and wiper stalk are mirrored.

Also, don't forget about the pedals, brake booster, throttle cable.

And also, JDM headlights are aimed to the opposite side of the road than CADM/USDM. If you have powerful headlamps, you might blind oncoming traffic in the other lane, rather than illuminate the signs and road ahead of you sufficiently in your lane (although, this can be negated if the headlamps have adjusters - i know this cuz my Vivio has adjusters).

Alot goes into getting a car to NA side driving spec.

Oh, and btw - nice engine - which version is it?
PMEmail Poster
Gio_55
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 06:29 AM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 27 minutes, 26 seconds ago)
There's more to it than that.

JDM RHD and CADM/USDM LHD steering bezels are different - as in the turn signal stalk and wiper stalk are mirrored.

Also, don't forget about the pedals, brake booster, throttle cable.

And also, JDM headlights are aimed to the opposite side of the road than CADM/USDM. If you have powerful headlamps, you might blind oncoming traffic in the other lane, rather than illuminate the signs and road ahead of you sufficiently in your lane (although, this can be negated if the headlamps have adjusters - i know this cuz my Vivio has adjusters).

Alot goes into getting a car to NA side driving spec.

Oh, and btw - nice engine - which version is it?

ok tnxs.. im planning to buy evo 6 straight from japan... may i ask my great mechanics on what to do... i just ask for 2nd opinion about it
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
my3awds
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 07:39 AM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Member No.: 6,288

Converting a RHD evo6 to LHD is VERY easy, but you will need alot more parts than just a dash as WRX_D stated. But if your somewhere like here in California, any junkyard will have almost ALL the parts you need. Here's a list if your serious and you can pick them up from any 5th generation Mirage coupe or sedan:

Need:
Cut rebar
Dash
heater core and a/c core (if you want a/c)
steering rack and power steering (including lines)
steering column
brake master cylinder
clutch master cylinder

Don't Need:
pedals are actually the same LHD and RHD on the evos
brake booster is the same LHD and RHD
headlights on the Evo and Mirage can be adjusted to point in any direction so JDM or USDM is fine

Keep in mind, all this stuff in the end will be cheap (probably $300 at pick n pull) BUT your steering ratio will be 3.2 lock to lock (due to the Mirage econo rack). You'll need to order from the UK or Ireland a LHD Evo 5-6 steering rack from a GSR (2.6) or RS (2.2) in order to get the quick-steer.

Thanks about the subi, it's a Version 4 Type R-RA driveline with the ball bearing VF24 @ 17 psi stock and an 8k redline. It also has a Kaaz 2.0 diff in the rear so it REALLY whips out like a rwd.
heater/ac controls are the same between a mirage and Evo4-6 RS. If you get the Evo4-6 GSR, you'll need the controls off the mirage and lines as well.
PMEmail Poster
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

I was saying that the pedals (and bigger, more important things like the brake booster - which also means finding a way to lead the brake fluid tubes to the master cyl) would have to be moved to the other side, so converting a whole JDM EVO to LHSteering might be a tad bit more work than - he'd need a new firewall for the EVO6.

swapping everything over to a mirage might be easier.

Also, yeah, I'm looking to get my 2.5RS (1998) swapped to STi finally this year too. I picked that thing up in 2005. Finally completed most of the body work and some suspension work right before I left for Japan. Gonna get her swapped with version 8 STi engine, tranny, diff and hubs - but I wont go brembos just yet. I like the 16 inch 5 spokes, so I'll hold on on brembos, but slap on the FHI 4 pot and 2 pots I have sitting around at home - along with a quick ratio steering rack (quicker than stock STi).
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 05:24 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

I've done and witnessed both and it's definetly easier just converting the dash over vs transfering everything over.

The brake booster is the same between the Mirage and Evo, it's just the master cylinder that is different which needs the lines ran, BUT the lines are the same between a Mirage and Evo4-6LHD (both ABS and nonABS).

The firewall is actually a mirror image down the middle. The holes are just drilled differently. Steering column hole will need to be drilled, clutch pedal master, brakebooster might need to be cut and transfered since the wiper motor is in it's place on both sides.

Gio, when you're ready to do it let me know and I will walk you through it.

Nice WRX, the sti ver8 is a good engine (prefer the ver7). Actually recently installed 4pots on the blue car. Definetly great for the money.

Here's some comparison shots.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by my3awds on Mar 16 2010, 05:25 PM
PMEmail Poster
BNR34NISMO
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 09:47 PM
Quote Post

Group: Core Members
Member No.: 871

all your conversions look so damn nice! smile.gif glad to see people actually doing a GOOD job on CP9A and GC8 conversions. most CP9A conversions i see here are half ass and ugly, same with a majority of the GC8 conversions here. props to you! smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Apex Carver
Posted: Mar 17 2010, 12:45 AM
Quote Post

There's sex, and then there's Apex

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 2,777

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ Yesterday, 9:02 AM)

No amount of headlight adjustment "negates" the design of the headlights.

It'll still throw the light on the wrong side of the road ( there are a few exceptions, but those are projectors, I don't know of any RHD/LHD reflectors ).

That's the reason I didn't drive my grale at night ( unless I had no choice >_< ), until I got the Evo lights.
PMEmail Poster
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Mar 17 2010, 05:30 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Guess I'll be getting some fabricating done.
PMEmail Poster
Apex Carver
Posted: Mar 17 2010, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

There's sex, and then there's Apex

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 2,777

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 30 minutes, 9 seconds ago)
Guess I'll be getting some fabricating done.

Projector retrofit, might as well go for HID. wink2.gif
PMEmail Poster
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Mar 17 2010, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

I was actually thinking of HIDs. Might even get them for my Imp too.
PMEmail Poster
ej1power
Posted: Mar 19 2010, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 395

i love this thread soo much! i agree the version 8 motor is good but version 7 was my personal fave for the sti's.

on a side note i just got a job making 14 an hr so i can now afford the conversion process myself, but quick Q..... i wanna do the IV but i want brembos. i dont like 18"+ rims that much.... how can i run brembos or any other top notch brakes without running 18's n up?
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Mar 19 2010, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Ej, hope you get the job then smile.gif You can run the brembos just fine, just get any wheel you want that is at least 17x7.5 38mm offset and you should be good. 17x7.5 38mm is the LEAST you want to run through that won't stick out past the fenders like a lowrider.
PMEmail Poster
ej1power
Posted: Mar 19 2010, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

awesome! ur a life saver! o, and i saw that you also are on lancerregister.com! sweet!!! i wanted to sign up but never had the cash!

now my ultimate Q.... i know the 6 is faster than the 9 but is aCN/CP9A gonna be able to beat the EVO X's? my buddy has one and his care spools super quickly!! i am wondering if its a similar setup i can run on my evo.

[ Post merged on Mar 19 2010, 02:29 PM ]
oh not to keep nagging u but there is a evo 4 suspension cradle set on ebay for like 1500. if i got that would i be ale to use that b4 i use your conversion method? or would it be best to do it your way? i;m just tired of my suspension and plus someone out here has some 5lug oem evo 4 rims n they dont even know it.

heres the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MITSUBISHI-...sQ5fAccessories
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Mar 19 2010, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Yeah paid registration on LR is actually nice. You get so much cool swag it's not even funny.

Anyway, I forget where you live, but in Cali, I don't really consider any of the Evos or STIs fast at all. They've detuned them so much just to work with 91 octane and thin air, that the quoted "300hp" is so off and it shows on stock dyno numbers around the city. With that said, I've driven an Evo X and it feels like the power has the same top HP pull as the 8-9, but because they use an aluminum block and re-adjusted the map down low, the power curve feels very linear. Almost NA. Instead of the sudden power kick you get with the Evo 8-9, it just starts low and early so there's no suddeness about it. It actually feels like a Subaru, now that the turbo/exhaust is in the back, the block is aluminum. That's the only reason why the Evo X will pull in front of an 8-9 stock, but there after it'll be "walkin the dog". This is why a stock CN9A or GC8 conversion with a JDM engine with proper fueling will out perform a stock CT9A or GDB here in California. It's lighter, has a stronger air/fuel tune, and no emmission limitations holding engine performance back (egr, 2ndary evap, etc).

The link you showed me is very suspicious. In the picture, they have a rear GSR assembly, and what looks like a Nissan rear assembly. I'm working on my friends 350z rear diff upgrade and I must say it looks VERY similar. But definetly nowhere is pictured a front undercarriage from an Evo 4-6...just the rear. If I were you I'd just do a 5lug conversion in the front since it's easy, and then for the rear, do the 5 lug conversion or just wait to do the rear awd swap.

This post has been edited by my3awds on Mar 19 2010, 03:00 PM
PMEmail Poster
ej1power
Posted: Mar 19 2010, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

got ya. now for the 5lug upfront. should i try to source tht from the evo or maybe get one off of a diff mitsu like a 03+oz rally, galant, etc...?

and thanks for the tip bout the X. i know its fast and yeah it feels like my friends subie, but 4 some reason,(prolly cuz its newer), but it felt like it was slower....

oh and sweet IC! it looks like the Trust/ Greddy one i wanted.
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Mar 20 2010, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

The most budget way to go for 5lug on a rage is to press out some 5lug hubs from a 1g (1990-1994) DSM (eclipse, talon, laser). They don't even have to be from a turbo, just an N/A will do and these knuckles should be a dime a dozen. At the local yard, I can get them for around $30 a knuckle iirc. Once you have the hub pressed out, take off your rage front knuckles and have them pressed in with new bearings and your done smile.gif

Just be aware that the Evo 5-9 brembos aren't bolt on with this 5 lug conversion. FYI though, the dsm stock front calipers are the same size as the Evo 4 caliper so if you're doing a full Evo 4 conversion then it won't matter. If you do want big calipers though, the dsm has a wide selection to choose from. Or just get custom brackets made for the evo brembos. I did this conversion when I first bought my car until I swapped over to a complete evo driveline/suspension.

The rears would be the 03 oz rally stuff you're thinking of. An even cheaper route would be a 88-90 mirage rear hub, redrilled to a 5 lug, then custom caliper brackets purchased from 89mirageman. Both options are there, and I would only go with the 03 oz rally stuff if you plan on staying fwd. Temporarily solutions should be as cheap as possible imo.
PMEmail Poster
ej1power
Posted: Mar 20 2010, 05:17 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

i thought about what you said and i prolly should just go the evo route. i took a look at some of the stock evo 8 US rims and i like em and so i might snatch a set of those. will those stick out past the fender? i have seen em but only on the evo 5,6's... not on a 4. all ur help is super appreciated bro. once i am done with it, i am soo gonna buy u something 4 all the help. i might get you a jap luminescent license plate or something cool.
PMEmail Poster
Gio_55
Posted: Mar 21 2010, 05:36 AM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE (my3awds @ Mar 16 2010, 05:24 PM)

Gio, when you're ready to do it let me know and I will walk you through it.

i keep in touch, currently i still finding a best condition evo 6 in the B7s section...

PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
my3awds
Posted: Apr 10 2010, 10:17 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

The Evo 8 wheels will stick out alot more noticably than the Evo 5-6 wheels since its .5" thicker. It only looks ok when you run lowered with negative camber, but that's not my style and I like my tires, so I wouldn't advise doing it. If you gonna stick with the Evo4 body with brembos, stick with the 7.5" width and 30-38mm offset.

Made a video tour of the AYC rear diff setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ZZIja-Dwk
PMEmail Poster
my3awds
Posted: Apr 18 2010, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Added a vid of the GC8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct4-C40AzOo

And took some pics after cleaning her up.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by my3awds on Apr 18 2010, 12:45 PM
PMEmail Poster
BNR34NISMO
Posted: Apr 19 2010, 01:48 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 871

nice video. nice pics too smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Moss
Posted: Apr 19 2010, 04:43 AM
Quote Post

戦争へ行きましょ!!

Member No.: 788

WOW!
that was dramatic grin2.gif

pretty amazing to see what it started as though.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
my3awds
Posted: May 31 2010, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

WME Metropolitan Runner

Thanks for the comments guys smile.gif

It was a nice sunny day over Saturday so I decided to clean the dust off the Evo to take some pics.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
VR4FTW
Posted: Jun 1 2010, 02:34 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 6,658

the rear door is from an evo iv?
PMEmail PosterYahoo
ej1power
Posted: Jun 1 2010, 04:09 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

sweetness bro! everytime i think about selling my car for a diff project, i look at ur posts and pics and i get renewed zeal for mines! thanks for being a big inspiration!
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options 4 Pages  1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll