Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
> Sold the MR2, An update of my life.
Lethal300
Posted: Jul 3 2010, 01:41 AM
Quote Post

Speed King

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,642

Z32 w00t2.gif Kind of a pain in the ass to work on. Ok if you take the engine out. (But at least then you'll save your money wink2.gif ) but you can make some decent power (for a relatively cheap amount of money if you do the work yourself) mine is at a stable 509rwhp on 95 at 20psi. But the Z32 is not everyone's cup of tea and gets slanted a lot as a lesser car compared to NSX and GTR. ermm2.gif
Edit: Also Z32 performance parts would also be cheaper for you cause you're in the states and don't have to send em half way around the world.

This post has been edited by Lethal300 on Jul 3 2010, 01:49 AM
PMEmail Poster
GinjaNinja
Posted: Jul 3 2010, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Speed King

Member No.: 2,562

I somehow cannot comprehend the amount of $$$ required to build a 500+ rwhp vg motor, you could spend a third of that and build yourself a haul-azz LSXXXXXXX

Oh wait this is a japanese car forum right?
PMEmail Poster
peemyTNBow
Posted: Jul 3 2010, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I don't think you even have a f**kin' clue what it takes to build a 500+ LSx motor and what exactly they can and can't do.
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Jul 3 2010, 02:55 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,055

I think this thread has gone in the exact opposite direction as its original intent.

I have no interest in German cars because I used to work for BMW as a technician and was scarred for life by the bizzare issues many of the cars that were dropped off for service seemed to have. I know this generalization cant be applied to all BMWs ever made, but it was enough to turn me away from ever wanting to own one.

The Z32 isnt a car that is very trackable, Im looking for a car I can take on Summit Point or VIR and run in one of the Mars Time Attack classes and be slightly competitive.

The FD RX7 is a car I have always liked since I was a little kid, I was raised surrounded by Japanese culture and family so for some odd reason I became biases to Japanese car and the sub-culture within the Japanese car scene. A few other cars fall into the same catagory as the RX7.

I dont need a practival car, thats why I have a completely unmolested Subaru Impreza who's warranty is still in effect for another 80,000 miles or so.
PMEmail Poster
JDMMA70
Posted: Jul 3 2010, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 123

QUOTE (GinjaNinja @ Yesterday, 9:21 PM)
Not saying Bimmer's are like Toyota's where you can just fix anything with a sticky tape and off you go

if only that were true....
PMEmail Poster
Geo
Posted: Jul 3 2010, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

all bow before me
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 1,760

QUOTE (HateSkylines @ 4 hours, 55 minutes ago)
I think this thread has gone in the exact opposite direction as its original intent.

I have no interest in German cars because I used to work for BMW as a technician and was scarred for life by the bizzare issues many of the cars that were dropped off for service seemed to have. I know this generalization cant be applied to all BMWs ever made, but it was enough to turn me away from ever wanting to own one.

The Z32 isnt a car that is very trackable, Im looking for a car I can take on Summit Point or VIR and run in one of the Mars Time Attack classes and be slightly competitive.

The FD RX7 is a car I have always liked since I was a little kid, I was raised surrounded by Japanese culture and family so for some odd reason I became biases to Japanese car and the sub-culture within the Japanese car scene. A few other cars fall into the same catagory as the RX7.

I dont need a practival car, thats why I have a completely unmolested Subaru Impreza who's warranty is still in effect for another 80,000 miles or so.

Wait for the FT86 to come out? I would say 350Z or 370Z if you could.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Force Fed Mopar
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 720

Damn, I leave for a few months and you sell your car tongue.gif If you want a decently reliable 90's Japanese sports car, it'd be hard to beat the Mk4 Supra IMO. I dunno what they go for now though. Of course, since you seem to have over 10k to spend, you can buy almost any of the 90's cars in decent shape. I think nice FD's are around 12-15k, but you should be able to pick up a Mk3 Supra, FC, 240SX (I know, they're everywhere, but they can be nice), Turbo Z31, etc in pretty good shape for around 10k. The cheap ones are the ones that usually have all the issues. $1000 cars can quickly become money pits. Better off to just buy a nice one to start with.

I dunno if you want rwd still or not, but if you're open to fwd or awd then there are nice Honda/Acura cars available for that money also, like clean 3rd Gen Integra GSR's or Type R's, Civic Si's, etc. Then there's Eclipse GST's and GSX's, turbo Imprezas and Legacy's, 200SX SE-R's, etc etc.
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 09:00 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

Member No.: 3,933

QUOTE (Force Fed Mopar @ 1 hour, 42 minutes ago)
Then there's Eclipse GST's and GSX's

No, just no. I did that, and don't wish that upon anyone. And as far as trackability goes, I wouldn't touch anything with the 3 diamonds that doesn't also say "EVOLUTION" on the boot.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Jul 30 2010, 03:01 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Force Fed Mopar @ Yesterday, 11:17 PM)
Damn, I leave for a few months and you sell your car tongue.gif If you want a decently reliable 90's Japanese sports car, it'd be hard to beat the Mk4 Supra IMO. I dunno what they go for now though. Of course, since you seem to have over 10k to spend, you can buy almost any of the 90's cars in decent shape. I think nice FD's are around 12-15k, but you should be able to pick up a Mk3 Supra, FC, 240SX (I know, they're everywhere, but they can be nice), Turbo Z31, etc in pretty good shape for around 10k. The cheap ones are the ones that usually have all the issues. $1000 cars can quickly become money pits. Better off to just buy a nice one to start with.

I dunno if you want rwd still or not, but if you're open to fwd or awd then there are nice Honda/Acura cars available for that money also, like clean 3rd Gen Integra GSR's or Type R's, Civic Si's, etc. Then there's Eclipse GST's and GSX's, turbo Imprezas and Legacy's, 200SX SE-R's, etc etc.

Yup, after the car caught fire I had to force myself to move on. As of right now, things are at a stand-still. I have almost enough cash to buy anything that Im looking into but at the moment, I dont know exactly what I want.

I have a good idea, but just stand-by until I make a decision and I bring a new car home.

Whats new with you ForceFed? Any progess on the GLHS?
PMEmail Poster
Lorenzo*
Posted: Aug 4 2010, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 5,205

QUOTE (HateSkylines @ Jun 29 2010, 07:35 PM)
I made $15,500

350z

u wont be disapointed
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
Force Fed Mopar
Posted: Aug 29 2010, 04:23 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 720

QUOTE (HateSkylines @ Jul 30 2010, 03:01 PM)
Yup, after the car caught fire I had to force myself to move on. As of right now, things are at a stand-still. I have almost enough cash to buy anything that Im looking into but at the moment, I dont know exactly what I want.

I have a good idea, but just stand-by until I make a decision and I bring a new car home.

Whats new with you ForceFed? Any progess on the GLHS?

Not much, still waiting for some shop space at my buddy's shop so we can finish up straightening the frame and get started on the bodywork. Right now I'm getting my turbo fix w/ my '87 Shelby Z Daytona wink2.gif Which has the old engine out of the GLHS. Just went through it again, reground the crank, changed out a questionable rod, new gaskets, installed a 6-puck clutch disc, resealed the trans cover, installed a drain plug in the trans. Also had to swap out the k-frame, the old one ripped apart and broke one frame mount for it. Upgraded it to the 91-up k-frame, spindles and brakes (better caster, dual pivot control arms w/ different installed angle for better ride and handling, better brake caliper design), and installed a Neon steering rack.

Haven't really had much time to work on anything of my own, been busy working to pay the bills and get some business prospects going. I am now officially the owner of a licensed junkyard, but it needs a bit of cleaning up (as in organizing, nothing environmental) and need to fill it up w/ some good parts cars. Also doing some performance tuning work out of my shop at the house, as well as helping my buddy out at his shop and still working part-time at the horse farm smile.gif

Sorry to hear about the fire on your car. I have about come to the conclusion that some cars have a curse on them lol, always seems to be something wrong. My Shelby Z has been like that for a while, finally after a couple years getting all the bugs worked out. Maybe blink.gif
PMEmail Poster
skv012a
Posted: Aug 29 2010, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 5,916

QUOTE (Lorenzo* @ Aug 4 2010, 04:00 PM)
350z

u wont be disapointed

While I am currently slightly biased, yes, 350 is a pretty solid choice. Since taking care of the car mechanically isn't an issue, FD is a pretty solid choice as well.

As far as mitsu's, I know a few GSX/Talon guys who are perfectly happy with these. They're also lighter than Evos on average, no?
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Aug 29 2010, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Force Fed Mopar @ 2 hours, 4 minutes ago)
Not much, still waiting for some shop space at my buddy's shop so we can finish up straightening the frame and get started on the bodywork. Right now I'm getting my turbo fix w/ my '87 Shelby Z Daytona wink2.gif Which has the old engine out of the GLHS. Just went through it again, reground the crank, changed out a questionable rod, new gaskets, installed a 6-puck clutch disc, resealed the trans cover, installed a drain plug in the trans. Also had to swap out the k-frame, the old one ripped apart and broke one frame mount for it. Upgraded it to the 91-up k-frame, spindles and brakes (better caster, dual pivot control arms w/ different installed angle for better ride and handling, better brake caliper design), and installed a Neon steering rack.

Haven't really had much time to work on anything of my own, been busy working to pay the bills and get some business prospects going. I am now officially the owner of a licensed junkyard, but it needs a bit of cleaning up (as in organizing, nothing environmental) and need to fill it up w/ some good parts cars. Also doing some performance tuning work out of my shop at the house, as well as helping my buddy out at his shop and still working part-time at the horse farm smile.gif

Sorry to hear about the fire on your car. I have about come to the conclusion that some cars have a curse on them lol, always seems to be something wrong. My Shelby Z has been like that for a while, finally after a couple years getting all the bugs worked out. Maybe blink.gif

Glad to see this your business ventures in life are taking off, I think you'll be doing well soon enough. The idea of a junkyard is really neat, I can appreciate that! Pics of the Daytona? Im assuming since you swapped the K-Frame you have the flip-up headlight body? Thats cool as hell though, so power wise its fun, and your GLHS will be your monster on the side.

Yeah, some cars are curse, my MR2 went through 2 fires, 3 engines (Oil pumps die on the car, and its only THAT car that has the issue even with brand new OEM ones and high volume aftermarket ones) and 2 accidents.

To be honest, I want THAT car back. I cant bring myself to buy a different car yet and I cant own a MR2 without owning the one I painstakingly built for 4 years. I dont want a MR2, unless I get mine.

Its weird, its a love for something that never gave you too much to smile over because it onely ran for a total time of about 1 out of 4 years.

That car was amazing, now its a crispy shell that a kid with more money then knowledge is trying to save. I feel bad for him, he doesnt have the knowledge to rebuild a car but he is trying and I respect it.

Yes, it still has the ABFlug lip and BBSes on it, it will always be known as "Mike's MR2"
PMEmail Poster
J.harris
Posted: Aug 29 2010, 06:41 PM
Quote Post

WME Member

Member No.: 6,804

I miss Mike's MR2 sad.gif
PMEmail PosterMSN
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Aug 29 2010, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Yeah, I didnt miss it atfirst but now that its been a month or two...it hit me. you dont really know what you got 'till its gone.

This post has been edited by HateSkylines on Aug 29 2010, 07:12 PM
PMEmail Poster
Moss
Posted: Aug 30 2010, 01:09 AM
Quote Post

戦争へ行きましょ!!

Group: Core Members
Member No.: 788

the devil mr2

once it captures your heart the only way out is for one of you to die.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
SouthSideSlider
Posted: Aug 30 2010, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

Member No.: 3,439

QUOTE (skv012a @ Yesterday, 4:39 PM)
As far as mitsu's, I know a few GSX/Talon guys who are perfectly happy with these. They're also lighter than Evos on average, no?

the big issuse with the GSX or TSI AWD cars is driveline. before to long i'm gonna have to drop $2200 for a sheptrans stage 4 transmission, and even more to retrofit the rear differential from a RWD platform into it(thinking T2 RX7 rear.)
WRX22B1998
Posted: Aug 30 2010, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

22B - Ultimate Impreza

Member No.: 4,234

QUOTE (PanzerAce @ Jun 29 2010, 03:09 PM)
Another option is a Datsun 510. Reliable stock if they're taken care of (read, change the oil, run some seafoam, rinse and repeat), and with a quite large aftermarket if you want to start modding, using everything from 300 dollar KA24DEs to mad JDM tyte yo SR20s etc.

.....damn, now I just convinced myself to get a 510...fuuuuuuuu

510 = datsun 1600 ?

if so, they are VERY VERY popular here. also the 1200 is popular, the ute especially.

like a few of the other guys on here (maybe?) i dont have a whole lot of physical experience with the cars, i know a bit of the theory etc but i havent bought a car and fixed it up from scratch etc so dont take my word as gospel its just my (3:48am) thoughts so *disclaimer* all or part thereof may be me talking shit, or it might be actually correct or otherwise *disclaimer*

if you want something purely for track, FD and other rotary's (specifically early 7's) are definitely up there, they dominated our V8's (holden/ford) back in the 70s/80s/90s until they got banned from bathurst because the bogans (rednecks) couldnt handle that their 6L V8 things were being beaten by a rotary with 1.3L, at least that's what I've read/been told/seen on TV. Done right, and done proper, rotary can be VERY VERY good, they arent reliable like conventional piston engines

This post has been edited by WRX22B1998 on Aug 30 2010, 10:02 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
skv012a
Posted: Aug 30 2010, 01:58 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 5,916

QUOTE (Moss @ Today, 1:09 AM)
the devil mr2

No kidding. I was considering one for a while, but hearing some stories like this one put me off quite fast. Yay to lack of mech experience when choosing rides lol.
Oddmanout84
Posted: Aug 30 2010, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Member No.: 3,693

QUOTE (skv012a @ 4 hours, 21 minutes ago)
. Yay to lack of mech experience when choosing rides lol.

Make sure you get some for that Z.
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Aug 30 2010, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

Member No.: 3,933

QUOTE (skv012a @ Yesterday, 6:39 PM)

Well, it was only a matter of time before I stepped into this one...

First off, they are NOT lighter than Evos. My VIII is less than 3100 curb with a full tank and full trim, save for no spare tire. My Talon was over 3300 same conditions. Weight balance on the Evos seems to be worse (at least that's what my floor jack thinks), but the cars are set up well enough from factory that it's not noticeable at the limit.

DSMs are decent cars, if you're looking to learn how to maintain a motorsports-oriented Mistu, and I loved mine to death, but in the end the best bang for your buck is going to be an Evo. But then again, 1/2 the performance at 1/4 of the price isn't such a bad ratio, and they do still respond well to mods.

QUOTE (SouthSideSlider @ Today, 10:42 AM)
the big issuse with the GSX or TSI AWD cars is driveline. before to long i'm gonna have to drop $2200 for a sheptrans stage 4 transmission,  and even more to retrofit the rear differential from a RWD platform into it(thinking T2 RX7 rear.)

Realistically, the Shep is necessary (at the very least stage 2 for the cryo-treatment), but you can get away with the stock LSD in back with stronger axles (which you can find), but the best choice is generally going with a bolt-in mechanical diff. Regardless, I've still seen Shep stage 2s grenade 5th gear on cars that'll do AWD burnouts all the way through 1st, with the majority of the rest of the driveline remaining stock.

Everybody likes to talk down the Mitsu drivelines, but more often than not you'll have to deal with suspension stuff before you ever have to replace a CV axle or driveshaft (unless they rust into a failed wheel bearing). The Evo t-cases are a minor exception, but even those are a complete hit-or-miss.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Sep 3 2010, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (Moss @ Aug 30 2010, 05:09 AM)
the devil mr2

Now luckily, it died first (Before me) but I must say...that car was no fan of the 3rd turn on Summit Point or the uphilll S-Curve on VIR. I almost lost my life there a time or in near miss accidents with enbankments in that car, lets just say it didnt like throttle-lift before a corner and then diving in at 80-100mph.

Yay for foldable mirrors, lets just say that. Oh well, that was partial drivers error.

skv - SW20 MR2s are not that unreliable, but being a 15-20 year old car...you must be able to perform repairs or pay someone to do so.
PMEmail Poster
rx-666
Posted: Sep 4 2010, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 3,627

you can join me on the dark side, im thinking about going m3 when i gather some more funds together. only reason its doable is because you can still get jdm wheels in that bolt pattern. or some well sized bbs.

PMEmail Poster
*DAN*
Posted: Sep 4 2010, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

ಠ_ಠ

Member No.: 5,129

What about a MR-S? Or maybe a NA MX-5.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Hero*
Posted: Sep 4 2010, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

Derp!

Member No.: 4,367

QUOTE (*DAN* @ 2 minutes, 51 seconds ago)
What about a MR-S? Or maybe a NA MX-5.

No way MR-S D:
PMEmail PosterMSN

Topic Options 4 Pages  1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll