Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
> The happiness and yet bane of my existence, my Z, 75 Datsun ZT w/ ZG look
usafdarkhorse
Posted: Sep 10 2010, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

WME Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,241

Wait!

Before you do that, buy a decent multimeter.

Check the voltage at the battery before you start the car to assess the battery's functionality. It should be around 12.5 now in the summer. If it's lower than around 12.2, it's not going to crank the car, but it may not be a bad battery. If you're seeing around 10.5, you've got a dead cell. If you've got a nice hard crank, it's not the battery.

Start the car. Now check the voltage across the battery again. When the alt comes into the equation, the battery completely leaves. You should be seeing at least 13.5V if not higher toward 14. If you're not seeing this, your alt could have a bad diode or your wiring could be a bit awry.

If the car just isn't cranking, the connections at the starter on the Z are FAMOUS for being intermittent. I have welders clamps on mine. Make sure they are SECURE. It will draw a ton of amperage in order to start your car.

You might be driving somewhere, shut the car off, have jostled the starter connections, and now it won't start. These cars are very simple, and often the problems that occur have very simple and easy fixes. Try this first!

Get a multimeter!

This post has been edited by usafdarkhorse on Sep 10 2010, 05:56 PM
PMEmail Poster
PanzerAce
Posted: Sep 10 2010, 10:09 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 2,725

I already know the battery is completely discharged, it doesn't even have enough juice to spin the electric fan or turn on the dome light. I also know that the alt is giving me 13.5+V.

Plus, there's some other wiring issues that I don't have the time or inclination to track down myself that I'm going to have them take care of. The most recent stuff was just what pushed me over the edge.
PMEmail Poster
xeoreg
Posted: Sep 11 2010, 12:10 AM
Quote Post

hello there

Group: Core Members
Member No.: 175

You sold both the NSX and the G35 for a Fairlady Z??

D=
PM
usafdarkhorse
Posted: Sep 11 2010, 06:36 AM
Quote Post

WME Member

QUOTE (xeoreg @ 6 hours, 26 minutes ago)
You sold both the NSX and the G35 for a Fairlady Z??

D=

No, I actually sold the NSX to pay my last semester of college and to acquire both the G35 and the Z, so I still have both.

I had a scholarship, but was able to take advantage of the GI Bill by giving the scholarship up for my last semester, so I had to sell the NSX to put myself in a better position for the future ( and more NSXs ).

I'd actually like to sell the G35 so I can kill my loan faster and get into another NSX sooner.

This post has been edited by usafdarkhorse on Sep 11 2010, 06:37 AM
PMEmail Poster
usafdarkhorse
Posted: Sep 23 2010, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

WME Member

A few updates.

Ended up selling the G35 which puts me about 8 months out from being completely debt-free. I'll be purchasing another NSX shortly after around when I graduate pilot training. I'd like to get a 97+, but I'm so attracted to the early Black/Ivory cars that I'll probably end up getting one of those and going Comptech Supercharged.

I also snagged a pair of ultra rare OEM Fairlady Z fender mirrors in black. I have Hella 4004s on the Z right now, and they just don't look right. They needed the real deal.

Here's a pic:
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Sep 23 2010, 07:43 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,693

Nice find on the black fender mirrors, those are impossible to find in relation to even the chrome ones, which is still difficult to imagine...
PMEmail Poster
usafdarkhorse
Posted: Sep 23 2010, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

WME Member

QUOTE (Oddmanout84 @ 27 minutes, 40 seconds ago)
Nice find on the black fender mirrors, those are impossible to find in relation to even the chrome ones, which is still difficult to imagine...

I know right?

An NSX buddy of mine who also drives an LS1 240Z sent me the ad. I had talked to the seller and bought them within 10 minutes of seeing them.

Just the way they're a little worn and that satin black color leads me to believe they're the real deal.

I used to see the chrome ones every once in awhile, but when I actively started searching for them they were nowhere to be found. Very lucky.
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options 2 Pages  1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll