• Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
> 72 240z LSx Turbo Swapped!
badboyz31
Posted: Mar 12 2011, 03:11 PM
Quote Post

WME C1 Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,347

Well guys my name is Cameron, I have been a lurker on these forums for a while and now it's my time to finally go ahead and make a build thread. I picked this 72 240z up from a friend for $500. My goals for the car are to go through and fix all of the rust, modify the chassis so it does not twist in half and I die, and then slap a BW s475 83mm turbo on my Iron block LS1 w/th350 and go out and have some fun! Plus as I break shit on the car go through and fix it or upgrade it for better stuff!

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Few parts, got more just have to get pics of them!

user posted image
user posted image

Boring I know but who cares this is the start to the end of my life!

[ Post merged on Mar 12 2011, 03:12 PM ]
I started mocking up the engine in the bay, not final placement, just put it in there to take measurements and get some ideas for mounts, plus the engine needs to be lowered and moved farther back against the firewall more!

enough of me here are some pics of the progress!

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

[ Post merged on Mar 12 2011, 03:14 PM ]
here is the turbo, MSII and harness!

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

[ Post merged on Mar 12 2011, 03:15 PM ]
A Real Teaser

user posted image

not final placement, but you guys get the idea, and yes I do want to take a trip to the moon!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
JZX100
Posted: Mar 12 2011, 07:43 PM
Quote Post

I Miss Aristo

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,738

Just wondering, why not make it a twin-turbo, similar to the Volvette? tongue.gif
VR4FTW
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 12:57 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 6,658

why single??..I know that turbo is huge but I also know that V8's benefits much from twin turbo, just wondering though
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 01:24 AM
Quote Post

梓県警察峠部

Group: Core Members
Member No.: 223

Woo! Welcome to the WME S30Z Club! Looks like you already have some crazy stuff goin' on (holy crap that turbo is HUGE!) and I look forward to seeing your progress. Keep the Z alive, and best of luck!
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 05:11 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Member No.: 3,693

Nice build, very ambitious. But I'd have to agree with some of the others. There comes a point where you have to ask yourself, "Where the f**k am I going to fit this?"

I love turbos and all, but in the case of the Lsx motors, why not consider going all motor? Or a roots blower... Another option would be a centrifugal SC that could be mounted in front of the engine where the extra space exists. the only place I can maybe see that turbo fitting would be in the battery box area (maybe) and even then the exhaust routing is going to be a nightmare.

This post has been edited by Oddmanout84 on Mar 13 2011, 05:17 AM
PMEmail Poster
badboyz31
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

WME C1 Runner

Thanks for the welcome guys

Also the turbo maybe physically large but it's only 83mm, plus that's a perfect pair for this motor. Another reason I did not want twins is because tracking problems is twice as hard because I have to buy twice the stuff. Also I am building this as a street/drag car.

Plus guys I don't want to get off topic in the thread about what's better single or twins. This what I'm going with because I have done my research and this turbo and engine suites my needs just fine.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 08:49 AM
Quote Post

梓県警察峠部

Group: Core Members
Member No.: 223

So if it's gonna be a drag car, are you gonna run it without a hood, or possibly chop the hood to make clearance for the turbo?

It's the turbo's physical size that we're all referring to, not its compatibility with the motor. wink2.gif
PMEmail Poster
badboyz31
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

WME C1 Runner

Yea I know you guys are talking about the actual size, but like stated in my first post neither the engine or the turbo is in it's permanent place. Plus I know I can make it fit with out cutting anything, but I would have to front mount the turbo (there are two guys on hybridz running the same size turbos just a little different specs on them). I don't want to be like them though I am going to move the turbo forward and down alot and cut the hood some and have a inlet hole the in the front. Plus my hood is shot so I'm not ruining a good hood!

Just stay tuned guys I will keep you updated with pics with better placement and what I'm aiming for!
rx-666
Posted: Mar 19 2011, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 3,627

with all the room in front especially if you get it back more i would put the turbo in front.
PMEmail Poster
badboyz31
Posted: Mar 20 2011, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

WME C1 Runner

the main reason I don't put it up front is because, I want to keep it uncluttered up front, I moved the engine down and back more, and it's really not going to fit well up front with a thick radiator, fans, and the water pump. So I'm basically just going to have it in the area where the battery used to be!
Oddmanout84
Posted: Mar 21 2011, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Member No.: 3,693

Sounds tight.
SPOILER

PMEmail Poster
GinjaNinja
Posted: Mar 26 2011, 05:12 AM
Quote Post

Speed King

Member No.: 2,562

Sweet, Truck motor in a classic car laugh.gif The way it should be, it'll get a bit nose-heavy but once it goes moving, have u considered getting your hands on an Aluminium Block LS1 that'll at least lighten the front by 70kg

Its a lot for a car's handling
PMEmail Poster
badboyz31
Posted: Apr 3 2011, 02:31 PM
Quote Post

WME C1 Runner

QUOTE (GinjaNinja @ Mar 26 2011, 05:12 AM)
Sweet, Truck motor in a classic car  laugh.gif  The way it should be, it'll get a bit nose-heavy but once it goes moving, have u considered getting your hands on an Aluminium Block LS1 that'll at least lighten the front by 70kg

Its a lot for a car's handling

Lol the difference in price is what attracted me towards this engine, plus this engine is sort of the underdog of the LS1 through the LQ4/LQ9, another reason I went with this engine is because its iron and more boost friendly than the aluminum LS1.

Regardless of what LS based engine I put in the car it's going to handle better than, if the L-series engine was in there because of the how far back and low this engine sits compared to the inline 6!

Ohh yea and I ordered my JCI LS1 s30 conversion mounts, now I'm just waiting on them so I can start on the hotside, wiring, and misc other mounts and such!

This post has been edited by badboyz31 on Apr 3 2011, 02:33 PM

Topic Options  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll