• Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.  Rate:  
> Addressed to Nissan Z owners here
VR4FTW
Posted: May 11 2011, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,658

Is there an aftermarket company or a tuning garage dedicated to making parts for the Fairlady Z??..especially the Z32..kinda like how the 3000GT has 3SX and Pit Road M??..

I'm thinking of getting a Z32 Fairlady Z for my birthday..I'll be turning it to my first project car..my first car was a E84A Galant VR4 and it didn't really have much for aftermarket parts so I scrapped the idea of turning it into a project

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: May 11 2011, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 2,552

Z32 is a pain in the dick. Just lettin' ya know.
PMEmail Poster
S12 Drifter
Posted: May 11 2011, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

Devil Z31

Member No.: 2,996

just get a Z31 and be f**king happy you dont have a Z32.

Z32 are MONEY PITS. you have to be middle to high class to even maintain one. and they like to go through lifters and are extremely hard to work on. get ready to OPEN your wallet up and let the money flow, also prepare for a fairly skinny wallet. i know one guy who went through 4 motors in 6 years, so just prepare for it. ( it was a N/A too lol)

but... to properly answer your question good sir.

http://amzperformance.com

This post has been edited by S12 Drifter on May 11 2011, 02:47 PM
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
StraightAwayZ
Posted: May 11 2011, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

Member No.: 1,547

4 motors in 6 years? Someone was doing something wrong.
PMEmail Poster
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: May 11 2011, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (StraightAwayZ @ 32 minutes, 11 seconds ago)
4 motors in 6 years? Someone was doing something wrong.

I agree.

Only reason I say they are a pain is...well... when you get the chance, check out the engine bay. rofl
PMEmail Poster
VR4FTW
Posted: May 11 2011, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Thanks for the site S12Drifter..

I know how cramped the engine bay is, I've worked on a Z32 before with my friend and pretty much we know how to screw things up with a Z32..

The problem with getting a Z31 here is the lack of the car here..just every now and then you'd see a car dealer putting up an ad for a Z31..then it gets bought within the day..heck, supras and evos are more common here than the Z31.

In my experience, the motor can withstand up to 550hp with the proper hardware in the engine bay..up until now the car is still running, we just don't use it much since it has become a pig for pump gas
PMEmail PosterYahoo
S12 Drifter
Posted: May 11 2011, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Devil Z31

QUOTE (VR4FTW @ Today, 10:30 PM)
In my experience, the motor can withstand up to 550hp with the proper hardware in the engine bay..up until now the car is still running, we just don't use it much since it has become a pig for pump gas

any car you modify will be a pig for pump gas.

realistically my Z gets like 7mpg, and thats babying the hell out of it.

[ Post merged on May 11 2011, 07:19 PM ]
QUOTE (VR4FTW @ Today, 10:30 PM)

I know how cramped the engine bay is, I've worked on a Z32 before with my friend and pretty much we know how to screw things up with a Z32..

The problem with getting a Z31 here is the lack of the car here..just every now and then you'd see a car dealer putting up an ad for a Z31..then it gets bought within the day..heck, supras and evos are more common here than the Z31.

why not play the WAITING game. when the right one comes you'll know. dont RUSH because when you rush something bad will happen.

additionally, VG are amazing motors great torque monsters. i think 450hp was the point at which you start to lose reliability? idk all I"m saying is good things come to those who wait.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Oddmanout84
Posted: May 11 2011, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Member No.: 3,693

QUOTE (S12 Drifter @ 51 minutes, 48 seconds ago)
any car you modify will be a pig for pump gas.

realistically my Z gets like 7mpg, and thats babying the hell out of it. 

A gross over-generalization.

I'd like to see the existence of several 300whp+ L28ET cars pushing 30mpg explained with this line of logic. Hell, my Z was about at that point before it broke and its mpg is similar to my Mazda 3 econobox, if not better. That's about double the original hp with greater fuel economy of the original motor as well... blink.gif

Hint: There's something to be said about the tune... And driving habits unless you really are babying it.

The Z32 is a pain to work on, but its a fine if not over engineered car. I think if you're going through 4 motors in 6 years something other than the car should be under suspicion.

This post has been edited by Oddmanout84 on May 11 2011, 09:28 PM
PMEmail Poster
StraightAwayZ
Posted: May 11 2011, 08:53 PM
Quote Post

Legendary Emperor

Member No.: 1,547

<- Has a 300+whp/360wt l28et Z gets 30mpg on the highways
PMEmail Poster
TexasDemonZ
Posted: May 11 2011, 09:50 PM
Quote Post

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 2,359

Z1

As someone who has had multiple S30's, a Z31, and a Z32 convertible I'll say this.

The Z31 has been a stubborn old mule and wont die. It takes a lot of punishment. For me, it's held up the best of all the Z's I've had. Mine was not taken care of by the previous owner. It's got the subframe clunk, the butt squat, a leaky left front caliper, a coolant leak, and a number of other problems, but always gets me where I need to go. Even when i loose enough coolant that the top hose is bone dry when the car is off, it still doesn't overheat while it's running. It's made me lazy about fixing because it's so good at staying alive despite what might be considered "fatal wounds" on most other cars. I've never been so impressed with a cars determination to defy the odds and continue running.

The S30's have been the most work, but I've had the most fun with them and once you've gone over the whole car to eliminate all the old and broken parts, they can be extremely reliable. If you ignore the initial work and just jump in it and go on the other hand, I promise you'll find yourself on the side of the road every so often. They're easy to work on, which is a big plus. The S30 is my favorite Z platform.

The Z32 vert I had was a complete nightmare. an auto is like playing Russian Roulette. No room to work, and anything besides spark plugs pretty much requires removing the engine. I had so many different problems, injectors, coils, wiring, leaks, steering rack bushings, ac bypass valve, dead auto tranny.... The Z32 was the only car I've ever WANTED to sell in my entire car history.
They're not all that way, but I'll never have a Z32 again.

At the ZClinic here in Austin, they used to have a whole wall of blown up TT motors. I know a guy who holed a piston two weeks ago on his Z32 last week because one of his injectors being fickle, which is a very common problem.

just my opinion.

This post has been edited by TexasDemonZ on May 11 2011, 10:01 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
S12 Drifter
Posted: May 12 2011, 02:53 AM
Quote Post

Devil Z31

QUOTE (TexasDemonZ @ Today, 1:50 AM)
Z1

As someone who has had multiple S30's, a Z31, and a Z32 convertible I'll say this.

The Z31 has been a stubborn old mule and wont die. It takes a lot of punishment. For me, it's held up the best of all the Z's I've had. Mine was not taken care of by the previous owner. It's got the subframe clunk, the butt squat, a leaky left front caliper, a coolant leak, and a number of other problems, but always gets me where I need to go. Even when i loose enough coolant that the top hose is bone dry when the car is off, it still doesn't overheat while it's running. It's made me lazy about fixing because it's so good at staying alive despite what might be considered "fatal wounds" on most other cars. I've never been so impressed with a cars determination to defy the odds and continue running.

The S30's have been the most work, but I've had the most fun with them and once you've gone over the whole car to eliminate all the old and broken parts, they can be extremely reliable. If you ignore the initial work and just jump in it and go on the other hand, I promise you'll find yourself on the side of the road every so often. They're easy to work on, which is a big plus. The S30 is my favorite Z platform.

The Z32 vert I had was a complete nightmare. an auto is like playing Russian Roulette. No room to work, and anything besides spark plugs pretty much requires removing the engine. I had so many different problems, injectors, coils, wiring, leaks, steering rack bushings, ac bypass valve, dead auto tranny.... The Z32 was the only car I've ever WANTED to sell in my entire car history.

At the ZClinic here in Austin, they used to have a whole wall of blown up TT motors. I know a guy who holed a piston two weeks ago on his Z32 last week because one of his injectors being fickle, which is a very common problem.

just my opinion.

+1 the VG Z31 is over built technically my motor SHOULDN'T even be alive and running right now. I ran 30psi when i was young non intercooled with the stock 260cc injectors. i'm still shocked it even took the punishment. but this lead to burnt valves and small detonation pits, either way it would have exploded or melted a piston but it didn't i love the VG30ET plat form, not only that but parts are extremely plentiful.

I also remember VARIOUS times my VG over heated past 270F my heart stopped because i thought it would blew a head gasket, nope it took it like man. this happened like 3 times.

the VG30et is truly a mans motor. in the time that I've had my Z31 NOT ONCE has it left me on the side of the road because of engine mechanical failure. and the one time it did was because a part of the wiring harness melted and cut off all my power (easy fix)

[ Post merged on May 12 2011, 03:00 AM ]
QUOTE (Oddmanout84 @ Today, 12:08 AM)
A gross over-generalization.

I'd like to see the existence of several 300whp+ L28ET cars pushing 30mpg explained with this line of logic. Hell, my Z was about at that point before it broke and its mpg is similar to my Mazda 3 econobox, if not better. That's about double the original hp with greater fuel economy of the original motor as well... blink.gif

Hint: There's something to be said about the tune... And driving habits unless you really are babying it.

The Z32 is a pain to work on, but its a fine if not over engineered car. I think if you're going through 4 motors in 6 years something other than the car should be under suspicion.

would you like to see my spark plugs? laugh.gif

before my diff exploded, i filled it up a week ago with $75 and it's almost empty now (19 gal tank remember)

This post has been edited by S12 Drifter on May 12 2011, 02:57 AM
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
VR4FTW
Posted: May 12 2011, 03:48 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

QUOTE (TexasDemonZ @ 5 hours, 58 minutes ago)

just my opinion.

I think that's a bit too much, on the second thought though, yours was an automatic..

Z32's require much attention, I know that..The thing that wanted me to get a Z32 in the first place is that there is a tuner here who specializes on those..

Pretty much in my country the Z31 in still in uncharted waters, as with other cars such as the RX7 or the MR2. This is Philippines we're talking here, most tuners here prefer post 1990 Z's (Z32-Z34), the Skyline GT-R (1992-2000..still wouldn't touch pre 1992 R32's since we don't have enough necessary tools to fabricate us a new oil pump drive collar..) S13-S15's, Evos and Imprezas, VR4's and common cars such as Civics and Corollas.

Z32 platform here is a choice for circuit racing, since the GT-R is too expensive. Plus some modders prefer to mod V6's. You wouldn't believe some people here are very talented modders that even the VG30DETT, which is famous for overheating, have not overheated on track use. Not for DD though, since gas prices here are insane
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Oddmanout84
Posted: May 12 2011, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Member No.: 3,693

QUOTE (S12 Drifter @ Today, 2:53 AM)

would you like to see my spark plugs? laugh.gif

before my diff exploded, i filled it up a week ago with $75 and it's almost empty now (19 gal tank remember)

Something is wrong/ you're still running incredibly rich.
PMEmail Poster
TexasDemonZ
Posted: May 12 2011, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 2,359

QUOTE (VR4FTW @ Today, 3:48 AM)
I think that's a bit too much, on the second thought though, yours was an automatic..

It was an Auto ORIGINALLY. After that died, I had it switched over to a 5speed from a TT.
The automatic was only the start of my problems. Either way, all the other problems besides the auto tranny are common for all the Z32's Turbo, NA, auto, or manual.

I too know a guy here in town who specializes in Z32's (also S30's), the first thing he pointed out to me when I met him the first time at his shop years ago was his wall of blown up Z32 motors.

They can be reliable, and good platforms... but you have to REALLY stay on top of them all the time.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
cmspaz
Posted: May 12 2011, 07:10 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

Member No.: 3,933

QUOTE (TexasDemonZ @ 1 hour, 18 minutes ago)
They can be reliable, and good platforms... but you have to REALLY stay on top of them all the time.

Sounds a lot like DSMs...
PMEmail Poster
DriftingVG
Posted: May 13 2011, 03:50 AM
Quote Post

Shuto ways

Member No.: 7,229

Get a z31, I have had mine for 6 years still running the stock turbo set up. No problems.
I have after market bushings, shocks ,struts seats, body kit did most of the work so I saved $$$
I bought my z31 for 2000 $ single owner, remanufactured w series VG, WEEKEND CAR
with all the inside leather and mechanical seats fully mint no rust.

I got rid of all the leather interior,digi dash and seats and it lost considerable weight.
The z31 imo is the best z
Either way a z31 enthusiast knows a VG30ett fits better in a z31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfHPbJQK2J8...be_gdata_player

Im going to do this once my engine goes to shit, but to my surprise it hasn't happened.
I'm just glad I actually see people who respect the z31
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Lethal300
Posted: May 13 2011, 04:26 AM
Quote Post

Speed King

Member No.: 4,642

Get a car you want to get not what others tell you. Then you will be a whole lot happier. My Z32 has never missed a beat and runs perfect just keep on top of maintenance for any car and you will be fine. Just may have to replace the odd 20 year old stock part but its been fine for 20 years why should something go wrong now. Ive never really found my Z difficult to work on just certain things require a different method or more patience and alittle competence also goes along way. Some things may cost abit more but its well worth it if you love your car no matter what it is.

Places that sell Z tuning parts are:
Z1
Specialty Z
ZCentre
Concept Z Performance
If you can find the parts Pentroof sell parts and AB Flug
There are more but this is off the top of my head.

Trial Tuning company have also tuned a few Z32's and i believe there is one in Malaysia. Which is closer than most places to you.

This post has been edited by Lethal300 on May 13 2011, 04:28 AM
PMEmail Poster
VR4FTW
Posted: May 13 2011, 05:57 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

QUOTE (Lethal300 @ 1 hour, 31 minutes ago)
Get a car you want to get not what others tell you. Then you will be a whole lot happier. My Z32 has never missed a beat and runs perfect just keep on top of maintenance for any car and you will be fine. Just may have to replace the odd 20 year old stock part but its been fine for 20 years why should something go wrong now. Ive never really found my Z difficult to work on just certain things require a different method or more patience and alittle competence also goes along way. Some things may cost abit more but its well worth it if you love your car no matter what it is.

Places that sell Z tuning parts are:
Z1
Specialty Z
ZCentre
Concept Z Performance
If you can find the parts Pentroof sell parts and AB Flug
There are more but this is off the top of my head.

Trial Tuning company have also tuned a few Z32's and i believe there is one in Malaysia. Which is closer than most places to you.

Actually I really wanted the Z32 for a long time now. It and the GTO MR was the first cars I ever fell inlove with, and the Z32 is the first ever sports car I ever saw as a child and was the first car I ever worked on with a buddy..

[ Post merged on May 13 2011, 06:05 AM ]
QUOTE (DriftingVG @ 2 hours, 15 minutes ago)
Get a z31, I have had mine for 6 years still running the stock turbo set up. No problems.
I have after market bushings, shocks ,struts seats, body kit did most of the work so I saved $$$
I bought my z31 for 2000 $ single owner, remanufactured w series VG, WEEKEND CAR
with all the inside leather and mechanical seats fully mint no rust.

I got rid of all the leather interior,digi dash and seats and it lost considerable weight.
The z31 imo is the best z
Either way a z31 enthusiast knows a VG30ett fits better in a z31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfHPbJQK2J8...be_gdata_player

Im going to do this once my engine goes to shit, but to my surprise it hasn't happened.
I'm just glad I actually see people who respect the z31

Not to be rude to you or anything, but I clearly stated before that the Z31 here is hard to come by..plus those who own one have either pushed it to the brink of destruction by racing it or is a avid car collector to relinquish theirs. Plus there are no tuners here of the Z31 and I plan to build a race car..
PMEmail PosterYahoo
S12 Drifter
Posted: May 13 2011, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

Devil Z31

QUOTE (VR4FTW @ Today, 9:57 AM)
Actually I really wanted the Z32 for a long time now. It and the GTO MR was the first cars I ever fell inlove with, and the Z32 is the first ever sports car I ever saw as a child and was the first car I ever worked on with a buddy..

[ Post merged on May 13 2011, 06:05 AM ]

Not to be rude to you or anything, but I clearly stated before that the Z31 here is hard to come by..plus those who own one have either pushed it to the brink of destruction by racing it or is a avid car collector to relinquish theirs. Plus there are no tuners here of the Z31 and I plan to build a race car..

it cost about 10k to build a VG30DETT it cost about 5k to fully build a VG30ET.

but choose what u want. Z31 is a required taste but if you TRIED hard enough and dont mind traveling 1,000 miles for one I'm sure you could find one, additionally; if it was going to be a race car it doesnt matter what condition the engine is in because you're going to build it anyway right? find a nice NA (N/AS have less power and are abused less) and you can go turbo internals etc etc etc, and still have a fairly straight body that has not been abused as much.

well thats just me. your cash your call, but i personally think the Z31 is the best bang for buck.

This post has been edited by S12 Drifter on May 13 2011, 10:45 AM
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
DriftingVG
Posted: May 13 2011, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Shuto ways

Member No.: 7,229

QUOTE (S12 Drifter @ 1 hour, 33 minutes ago)
it cost about 10k to build a VG30DETT it cost about 5k to fully build a VG30ET.

but choose what u want. Z31 is a required taste but if you TRIED hard enough and dont mind traveling 1,000 miles for one I'm sure you could find one, additionally; if it was going to be a race car it doesnt matter what condition the engine is in because you're going to build it anyway right? find a nice NA (N/AS have less power and are abused less) and you can go turbo internals etc etc etc, and still have a fairly straight body that has not been abused as much.

well thats just me. your cash your call, but i personally think the Z31 is the best bang for buck.

Hey didn't I talk to you before? How's your z31 man hopefully its running good. This guy loves the z32 a lot and won't change his mind. It's true don't get the car people tell you but
Listen to s13 drifted its just plain cheaper for a z31 and if anything the z31 can outperform the z32 , Infact a few of the guys I have met in person and their z31 is too beastly not even a tt
With the same power can keep up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyKqn8svreU...be_gdata_player
You would be surprised to how much he hasnt done to that z.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd321il2xYk...be_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf4R0Ba_zHQ...be_gdata_player
This vg30et is at like 1100 hp

I only make remarks about the z32 because I have driven a few that were over 600 hp
I happen to love the car a bit more than my z31 but I have grown to love my car
And after welding the shit out of everything I have been beating the car up with no problems so far... knock on wood

I can get a tt engine under 1500$ and have it running safely at at least 400hp with under 3000$
We are blessed here in san diego because I could usually find an na z31 for like 4000$

Full supension upgrade is all that is needed afterwards if your going to race, and if you call racing, going in a straight line then you might not even need all that.

So basically a badass z32 for under 10k I'm really down.

This post has been edited by DriftingVG on May 13 2011, 12:35 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
S12 Drifter
Posted: May 13 2011, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

Devil Z31

QUOTE (DriftingVG @ Today, 4:17 PM)
Hey didn't I talk to you before? How's your z31 man hopefully its running good. This guy loves the z32 a lot and won't change his mind. It's true don't get the car people tell you but
Listen to s13 drifted its just plain cheaper for a z31 and if anything the z31 can outperform the z32 , Infact a few of the guys I have met in person and their z31 is too beastly not even a tt
With the same power can keep up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyKqn8svreU...be_gdata_player
You would be surprised to how much he hasnt done to that z.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd321il2xYk...be_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf4R0Ba_zHQ...be_gdata_player
This vg30et is at like 1100 hp

I only make remarks about the z32 because I have driven a few that were over 600 hp
I happen to love the car a bit more than my z31 but I have grown to love my car
And after welding the shit out of everything I have been beating the car up with no problems  so far... knock on wood

I can get a tt engine under 1500$ and have it running safely at at least 400hp with under 3000$
We are blessed here in san diego because I could usually find an na z31 for like 4000$

Full supension upgrade is all that is needed afterwards if your going to race, and if you call racing, going in a straight line then you might not even need all that.

So basically a badass z32 for under 10k I'm really down.

My diff exploded because of hard abuse I'm shocked actually because i was told these diffs can hold up to 700hp on open diffs and that the R200s are indestructible.

everything was destroyed except the ring gear one spider gear that magically survived lmao, the rear end locked up and i spun out. did a 0-60 and it justt gave out.

look a few threads down, upgrading to a j30 VLSD I hear their a lot stronger.

This post has been edited by S12 Drifter on May 13 2011, 12:47 PM
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: May 14 2011, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

J30 LSD will fall flat on it's face under the load of any kind of decent power. I don't know why people waste their time with those.
PMEmail Poster
Yokohama
Posted: May 17 2011, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer

Member No.: 7,874

QUOTE (VR4FTW @ May 11 2011, 06:30 PM)

If you want a Z31, I maybe able to help you if you want someone in the USA to export one.
There are lots of really nice Z31 Turbo cars around where I live.

That said, I also have lots of body parts for the Z31 if anyone is interested.

If you get the mid-87+ car you can also get the stronger manual transmission and LSD as standard on the turbo.
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll