Posted: Mar 21 2012, 11:29 PM
Quote Post

Buy me some Premix?

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 6,920

QUOTE (Benovelence @ Today, 9:32 PM)
havent played it yet but will try to.

and the Syndicate sucks balls.

Damn really, how bad does it suck? I was thinking of getting it.

EDIT: Oh and sorry The J for ?ing about another game...

This post has been edited by ATRUM_Neto on Mar 21 2012, 11:31 PM
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Oddmanout84
Posted: May 15 2012, 09:59 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Member No.: 3,693

QUOTE (The J @ Mar 21 2012, 01:10 PM)
I'm curious for those of you who know about the ending:

SPOILER

I'm late to [this] party, but yes. Mass Effect is bar-none my favorite game series, and the storyline I've been most invested in. I bought the CE of the first game when it came out, somehow missed the ME2 CE, got the ME3 CE on release day.

My opinions?

The game was great... mostly. The story arc for the most part still maintained the excellence of the series. There were some annoying bugs... some really annoying bugs... and Tali's obviously edited hand. The ending was... wtf. The whole thing was still decent as a whole, but I got the feeling that it was rushed a bit, which meshes well with the information that Bioware asked for a 6 month extension on development time and EA gave them three. Putting the pieces together from paying close attention to details and the plot though, along with tweets from the devs, and there's some promising patterns. Shepard lives...

The fallout might not have been what they expected, but I'd like to think Bioware had planned something big. I went to PAX Boston (just up the road, really) to meet the devs/writers and had an enjoyable time, though not all my questions were answered. We shall find out with the upcoming DLC, Extended Content and otherwise.

Good to see a fellow ME fan, J, even though my association with them has turned into a somewhat embarrassing experience over the past few months. My opinion of you has improved. wink2.gif

Now if you'll excuse me, the Z needs some calibrations.
PMEmail Poster
The J
Posted: May 16 2012, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

The Immortal Kaos Emperor
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 367

The ending got spoiled to me while I was in the middle of the game. My roommate felt that it was important for me to see it before I invested much more time in the story since my time to play the game is much more limited than his. I was quite disappointed, but at the same time the game so far has been excellent. At this point though I'm putting the game on the backburner until the extended ending comes out so I can at least get some more closure when I finally do beat it.

Been enjoying this in the mean time
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpeRk1YFn8s )

This post has been edited by The J on May 16 2012, 09:34 AM
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: May 17 2012, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Steak. I f*cking love steak.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jun 25 2012, 03:41 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

So how about that band-aid from Bioware? Comes out tomorrow....

I should go.
PMEmail Poster
The J
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Generally favorable reviews from my roomates. I'm gonna pick up the game again and see if I don't wind up actually enjoying it. The ending might be poor but at least it's an ending and not a prelude to "BUY DLC.... WE'RE WHORES!!!"
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jun 28 2012, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

QUOTE (The J @ Yesterday, 8:00 AM)
Generally favorable reviews from my roomates.  I'm gonna pick up the game again and see if I don't wind up actually enjoying it.  The ending might be poor but at least it's an ending and not a prelude to "BUY DLC.... WE'RE WHORES!!!"

Well you can add my "generally favorable" review to your list. I will try to avoid spoiling anything, because I personally think it's bullshit to "save" someone by spoiling the story or telling them what to think.

The EC isn't much, but what it has is dripping with the effort they put into it. They really did squeeze a lot of love into the additions. However, it still brings to mind what I heard Gamble say from the back row of the PAX Mass Effect Panel:

"It's more than a few cinematic scenes, it's more than a small coat of paint..."

The problem is, it IS a coat of paint. It is a lovely, expensive coat of paint over a broken product. That broken product is a complete break in the narrative cohesion at the end of the game. Why some choices become acceptable within the last 5 minutes, after EVERYTHING ELSE in the rest of the series has told you NOT to do so... just doesn't make sense... unless some of the choices at the end are "tricks" meant to snare the player who hasn't been paying very close attention to the story, or is easily manipulated through emotional attachment. If they are, this is absolutely brilliant, and would be the first time (from what I can see) than anyone has been able to immerse their audience so completely into roleplaying a character.

However, so far they've simply stated that they refuse to confirm or deny such a thing and the EC does not address this, instead (once again) leaving a large portion up to player interpretation. I'm undecided myself in terms of what to think of this. On one hand I think the ending (one of them specifically) opens up the franchise to another sequel. Bioware stated that Mass Effect, more specifically Shepard's story, is done after ME3... but we all know this is bullshit, because EA and every other game corp milks its franchises until they're dry. On the other hand though, it's still possible that this really is the end, and the EC is nothing more than a please-all that makes every ending valid (kind of disgusting the more I think about it).

Ok, so I've leveled my heaviest criticism on the game, now for the good. The final hour of the game is now MUCH more emotionally engaging. There were a couple scenes that literally made my throat close up, coincidentally at the same time some dust got in my eye. All of the endings, good and bad, have some sense of hope to them or at least the illusion of hope in two of them. They are finally bittersweet as Bioware promised. Some of the most glaring inconsistencies were filled, and at least this time around you're left thinking about what happened/what happens next rather than being completely confused and in the dark. One of the endings, the first one I got because I "accidentally something", was so hilarious that I didn't mind replaying the last half-hour I "wasted".

Interested to see what you think of all of this when you finish the game. I think it's improved, far from perfect, but improved.

Again, I want to emphasize that I'm not telling you what to do/think, but as you stand upon the precipice in the final moments of the game, really pay attention. Ask yourself, what would Shepard do, and what have all the characters I've met been telling me throughout the series.

Your choices will determine your epitaph... or maybe they won't.

This post has been edited by Oddmanout84 on Jun 28 2012, 08:25 AM
PMEmail Poster
The J
Posted: Jun 28 2012, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

I need to remember to be careful with Kinekt though. The mic picked up a casual conversation from my roomates and pulled my squad out of cover when the words "cover me" ended up in a sentence.

I haven't seen the ending per se- only what I've been told. So I'm going in knowing what's supposed to happen but I'll be seeing the ending as the touched up ending without having actually seen the old one. So I'll judge it on its own merits before I go and see what changes were actually done.

Till then-
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSawGT5bgdM )
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jun 28 2012, 08:50 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Double nice.
PMEmail Poster
rx-666
Posted: Jul 9 2012, 05:04 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 3,627

i just finished it a couple days ago, with the edited ending or whatever. so i never saw the original, and i know they didnt change much. i wont say it sucks, but its not very good, i agree 100% it feels rushed and half assed.

and whats odd, the multiplayer is pretty funny even though on paper its really pretty shitty.

i mean i played 1 when it first came out, i didnt even touch 2 till right before i bought this one 2-3 weeks ago. i cant even decide which i liked best. i think 3 had the best game play but 2 and 3 were better story wise. i hate when shit gets worse as it goes, these big game companies really screw stuff stuff up. this series had a lot more potential than what they did with it. i think the world they created is cooler than maybe even star wars.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Jul 12 2012, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

QUOTE (rx-666 @ Jul 9 2012, 05:04 PM)
i just finished it a couple days ago, with the edited ending or whatever. so i never saw the original, and i know they didnt change much. i wont say it sucks, but its not very good, i agree 100% it feels rushed and half assed.

and whats odd, the multiplayer is pretty funny even though on paper its really pretty shitty.

i mean i played 1 when it first came out, i didnt even touch 2 till right before i bought this one 2-3 weeks ago. i cant even decide which i liked best. i think 3 had the best game play but 2 and 3 were better story wise. i hate when shit gets worse as it goes, these big game companies really screw stuff stuff up. this series had a lot more potential than what they did with it. i think the world they created is cooler than maybe even star wars.

MUCH better than Star Wars, probably my favorite scifi universe to date.

Yeah, I don't think EA gave them enough time for such an ambitious project. The first game had something like ~5 years worth of dev time, ME2 had at least 2.5 if not 3 years... Mass Effect 3 had less than that (2-ish at best), and that includes the 6 month extension that EA gave Bioware from the original release date. Really, really unfortunate that it had to go that way, likely so that the game's sales would puff up the end of the quarter to make EA look good to shareholders.

I still have an *inkling* of faith in Bioware and the possibility that they planned the end of this game to be so surreal so they could drag it out with DLC over the course of the next year. The alternative is that their writing staff went from mildly brilliant story telling in the past ~100 hours of Mass Effect to inexplicably batshit insane for the last half hour of the third game. Even the rushed state of the game doesn't explain the complete narrative break/destruction at the end.

Multiplayer does rule, I was impressed even though I thought I'd never play when I first heard news of it.
PMEmail Poster
rx-666
Posted: Aug 10 2012, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 3,627

it shows too, EA is really a shitty company.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Aug 16 2012, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

QUOTE (rx-666 @ Aug 10 2012, 06:51 AM)
it shows too, EA is really a shitty company.

Rumors today that said shitty company might be going up for sale soon. It's sad really, that Bioware's owners wanted to cash out by making a deal with the devil while their own company was on the cusp of further greatness. Out of all the game series I've played, Mass Effect is my favorite and it pains me to see it go. Not just in the sense that the story is over, but that the way it went out was almost like watching it circle the rim of a toilet bowl...
dry.gif
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll