Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
> And, I'm back maybe?, It's been quite a while...
cmspaz
Posted: Nov 30 2013, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,933

So yeah, I haven't showed my face around here for quite some time, and it's a boring Saturday, and I really do need more forums to check from work as it slows down in the winter, so I'll probably be around more now.

Anyway, I'm posting this here in Automotive since most of my updates belong in here...

We'll start with the old Evo, it really never stopped breaking, I was putting between $1200-1500 a month into it with payments, fuel, and repairs and maintenance. It was never a dull moment whether it was running or not, and the last stretch was insane, blown head gasket, found out during the job that it was a bad injector, replaced that injector. Then found out the head was cracked from the heat, so I, via a really long story, procured a JDM Evo IV drop-in longblock, which I tore down for just the head. All back together, I had idle issues due to another bad injector from the same set, so I tossed all 4 and threw in a brand new set. The money all gone, I waited a few weeks, and had the car retuned, made 380whp/390wtq, everything was awesome.

Then came the following weekend at the track, during my first session of lapping the brakes gave out, pedal went to the floor, and I was left committed to the wall. Saved it and myself the best I could, so while it's a write-off, I still have my mobility and only a handful of parts that can't be sold in a part-out. Insurance is a whole separate ball game I really don't want to get into right now.

Regardless, here're some pics of the car from the past year or so and then as of the accident:

Last winter, some lake shenans.
user posted image

Various shots of mine from weekly meets.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Literally days before the accident, freshly detailed.
user posted image

And, the aftermath.
user posted image

Yep, fun stuff. Still up in the air on it, I know it's done for, not sure what I'm keeping or selling from it, but I'd suspect I won't keep much, if anything. Maybe the turbo, injectors, few other minor things, but it's otherwise mostly stock stuff. Motor's built but that'll be sold.

So, for now, I'm just rocking an '06 Jetta GLI for a daily. It's got a handful of things done, nothing impressive, and makes a fun enough 215whp and 250wtq, bought it that way and that's how it'll stay.

user posted image

For now, I'm going to just drive the Jetta, save some money, and once I get the financials figured out surrounding the wreck, I'll probably pick up another Evo.
PMEmail Poster
rx-666
Posted: Nov 30 2013, 03:45 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 3,627

well thats a sucky update but at least you didnt die. were you able to at least write off your pants? laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Nov 30 2013, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

LOL. I actually was starting my cooldown lap and had picked an early braking point, so I had plenty of time to figure out my course of action. It was apparent very early that I was going to find the wall so I did my best to scrub speed and position the car to minimize damage to it and injury to myself. No pants cleaning was necessary. tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster
Blue-Sensei
Posted: Nov 30 2013, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

I have no idea what I'm doing

Member No.: 7,637

crying2.gif Poor evo. At least you're ok.

Are you going to resurrect it?
PMEmail Poster
touge_ninja
Posted: Nov 30 2013, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

Evo Killer

Member No.: 11

Sorry to hear.
PMEmail PosterAOL
cmspaz
Posted: Nov 30 2013, 05:37 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

Nah, this one won't come back. The unibody is in bad enough shape that I wouldn't even want to try. It and the suspension will be scrapped, everything else that I'm not keeping will be sold. There's $8k or so in the part-out, with $3k of that in the motor alone.
PMEmail Poster
Blue-Sensei
Posted: Nov 30 2013, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

I have no idea what I'm doing

Member No.: 7,637

God that really sucks, looked amazing before.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Dec 2 2013, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 3,055

cmspaz!

I haven't talked to you in literally forever, I saw bits about your accident on FB. I'm glad your ok man, that's what matters most. It could have been alot worse, but by the sounds of it you made it out with bumps and scratches right?

I've never lost a car on track, or in an collision for that matter, I imagine insurance is...not exactly working with you on this one.

I'm really sorry about the loss of your car, man, I remember when you first got that LanEvo...or hell even the good old Eclipse/Talon.

Best regards man, we gotta catch up soon.
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Dec 2 2013, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

Haha, insurance is far from working with me. They issued a denial to the claim within the response window required by law, then retracted it when I called them out on basically jamming a square peg in a round hole in the policy to issue said denial. Things have been fun since, but it isn't anything that is explicitly denied in the policy, so all it should take is time, and I've got plenty of that.

I actually walked away with assistance, ended up with a few non-displaced pelvic fractures, was walking without crutches 3 weeks later, and the limp was gone completely in 2 months. I still wake up in the mornings pretty stiff, but it's nothing a hot shower doesn't take care of. Could still be some muscle tissue that isn't fully healed yet, I'll give it a few more months before making it a concern. I was super lucky, it could have been a lot worse.

In the end, cars are replaceable, and I'm not. So in the loss of the car, I can't say I'm not saddened, but at the end of the day that's not what matters.

And I agree, we do need to catch up soon.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Dec 4 2013, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Obviously I would imagine you plan on waiting a little while until your financially stable again and the insurance deal is cleaned up before you pick up another 'project' car. Plan to move away from the Evo platform, or is it a new home for you?
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Dec 5 2013, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

The CT9A is home sweet home, I know that chassis like the back of my hand. A X isn't out of the question though, and depending on how quickly insurance responds, I asked to be put on the 400 person long waiting list and was instead just handed an option sheet for a 311RS: http://www.311rs.com/, but there are currently only two left unreserved.

But we'll see. I have my eye on a not listed for sale but will sell for the right price silver '03 with 6500 miles on it, along with a couple other clean and stock examples. I'd like to keep this one as simple as possible, so a bone stock starting point is ideal.
PMEmail Poster
roadrunner
Posted: Dec 5 2013, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

WME Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,262

Hey, i'm new, but I've been into the Wangan series for awhile.

I'm really sorry about your car! It looked great in the pics. That's sad that you have to scrap it. I'm glad that you were ok! grin2.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
cmspaz
Posted: Dec 6 2013, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

It's part of the hobby, unfortunately. The hardest part is going to be turning that first bolt out when I finally settle with insurance and get the car into my buddy's garage for teardown.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Dec 7 2013, 11:01 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (cmspaz @ Dec 5 2013, 02:35 PM)
The CT9A is home sweet home, I know that chassis like the back of my hand. A X isn't out of the question though, and depending on how quickly insurance responds, I asked to be put on the 400 person long waiting list and was instead just handed an option sheet for a 311RS: http://www.311rs.com/, but there are currently only two left unreserved.

But we'll see. I have my eye on a not listed for sale but will sell for the right price silver '03 with 6500 miles on it, along with a couple other clean and stock examples. I'd like to keep this one as simple as possible, so a bone stock starting point is ideal.

You have me reading on the 311RS now, good god.

Any keep us posted on your decision, the 6,500 mile LanEvo is hard to beat honestly. I thought yours was very simple, but I guess there are things I didn't know about.
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Dec 8 2013, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

Watch the videos and read any articles you can find, the car is intoxicatingly beautiful and the experience backing the setup is unreal. I'm a personal friend of Ryan's, and he's been at the forefront of the Evo X on the racetrack, nobody pushed the chassis like he did out of the box, and nobody was able to set records like he was those first few years before the engine let go leaving him with his first loss with the car. If there's anyone I'd want developing an Evo package, it's him. The 311RS is an ideal, both in the Evo world and for my own situation.

Unfortunately, I did actually have a buyer lined up for my VIII to the tune of $14k, a few k over the 20% downpayment required at time of signing for a 311RS as I'd initially spec it. I was told I'd have cash in hand within two days of committing to the sale, which would have happened once everything else had been ironed out financially for me. Now it's a battle for that same money that I can't even guarantee will end well for me.

Otherwise, I'll get another VIII or IX with low miles and super clean, simply because a base X will just feel like a compromise and I don't want a warranty if it's not already built.
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Dec 18 2013, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Dec 20 2013, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

as of last week, they changed their tune (and apologized profusely) after finding documentation on a lawsuit resulting from similar circumstances. Both medical and the car will be covered. I'm getting $15k for the car plus another $1k mod allowance.

As for buyback, I was told likely 30-40%. At 40%, it becomes risky. But if I let it go, I'll have to repurchase parts for any future CT9A, including a $500 set of injectors and a $1600 clutch, so... It's a hell of a fence to be on, I'll tell you that much.

Regardless, I have my sights set on an Evo IX, specifically the one in the post above. The ad is super vague (and it's designed to be, I know the last two owners), and details will come out in time... Once I have it in storage, that is.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Dec 20 2013, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (cmspaz @ 3 minutes, 12 seconds ago)
as of last week, they changed their tune (and apologized profusely) after finding documentation on a lawsuit resulting from similar circumstances. Both medical and the car will be covered. I'm getting $15k for the car plus another $1k mod allowance.

As for buyback, I was told likely 30-40%. At 40%, it becomes risky. But if I let it go, I'll have to repurchase parts for any future CT9A, including a $500 set of injectors and a $1600 clutch, so... It's a hell of a fence to be on, I'll tell you that much.

Regardless, I have my sights set on an Evo IX, specifically the one in the post above. The ad is super vague (and it's designed to be, I know the last two owners), and details will come out in time... Once I have it in storage, that is.

Well congrats, that's quite a relief. I would just let the car go, as 30-40% isn't really low enough to justify keeping the car for a few mods is it?

You don't think your going to go after an Evo X? I personally enjoy driving the VIII/IX more but it's not like the Xs are bad cars at all.
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Dec 20 2013, 02:16 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

Well, the problem is that there are 3 things I'd keep to reuse that I would purchase new if I didn't... The $500 set of injectors, the $800 exhaust, and the $1600 Exedy HD Twin Disc clutch. I may keep the trunk and wing since the IX I'm looking at is wingless.

I can sell the motor as a bare longblock for $3000, then everything else off of it for another $1k or so, driver's headlight for $250, Seats for $600, calipers for $400-500, trans would be traded for the space I'm using to part it out, ECU for $100, t-case for $500, rear diff for a few hundred... you get the idea. After the big stuff's out I could probably sell what's left for another k or two and come out with retained parts plus a small profit.
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Dec 22 2013, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (cmspaz @ Dec 20 2013, 06:16 PM)
Well, the problem is that there are 3 things I'd keep to reuse that I would purchase new if I didn't... The $500 set of injectors, the $800 exhaust, and the $1600 Exedy HD Twin Disc clutch. I may keep the trunk and wing since the IX I'm looking at is wingless.

I can sell the motor as a bare longblock for $3000, then everything else off of it for another $1k or so, driver's headlight for $250, Seats for $600, calipers for $400-500, trans would be traded for the space I'm using to part it out, ECU for $100, t-case for $500, rear diff for a few hundred... you get the idea. After the big stuff's out I could probably sell what's left for another k or two and come out with retained parts plus a small profit.

So your move is to keep it an part it out? Or is that a bit of a hassle and you just want the cash instantly more-or-less?

I would consider the part out then if you don't mind waiting to see the lump sum after a couple months. It's a gamble but one you'll most likely win on for sure.
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Dec 22 2013, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

Yeah, it's just the initial loss that's annoying. I can get it back, that's not a problem.
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Jan 4 2014, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

So, a local shop is going to part the car out and let me keep the few parts I want.

Insurance check is in the mail, car is in my driveway (that's a whole different can of worms, because it shouldn't be), and I have the remaining financing lined up for the replacement Evo IX, which I have already downplayed on and will take delivery of on Monday or Tuesday.

It'll get driven a couple times (I'll admit, I'm really only keeping it out for 4 days because of a date) and then putting it in storage for the rest of the winter and collecting parts for spring time.
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Jan 6 2014, 10:18 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

Oh dear...

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Jan 8 2014, 10:56 PM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

QUOTE (cmspaz @ Jan 7 2014, 02:18 AM)
Oh dear...

user posted image

Saw this ish on FB. Congrats man! Does it feel good to be back?
PMEmail Poster
cmspaz
Posted: Jan 9 2014, 09:04 PM
Quote Post

Back in the saddle.

It feels f**king awesome to be back. The car is going into permanent hibernation for the remainder of winter starting tomorrow.

[ Post merged on Jan 10 2014, 01:04 PM ]
I take that back, my time frame for this is all jacked up, things coming up, and stuff. I have Monday off so I'll leave it parked until then, and get it thoroughly washed up, take a couple photos with a REAL camera to appease the FB masses pointing out that my black car is still all over my page, and then put it away with a cover until the end of March or so.
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options 2 Pages  1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll