Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.  Rate:  
> Drift Rebels Japan: Initial D fan game, Contribute now on IDW!!
RIT_ninja
Posted: Dec 11 2014, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

Got Pedometer?

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 213

Our sister site has a member who is working on a mobile racing game project and would like people's inputs:
http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=47342

Give Shiroboi some ideas if you want to see a racing game cater to your taste

From IDW:

Hey all, first off, I'm a huge Initial D fan, love the art, love the music, love the story. I've driven performance cars in Japan before and have challenged Akihabara residents in Arcade Stage on numerous occasions.

Little Backstory
It's honestly been a few years though since I watched any of the animes. In the meantime, I've moved to Thailand and started a game company. We've been open for about a year and a half but just recently, we've started to produce Unity games and will release our first title this Friday. After poking around on various asset stores, it dawned on me that I have pretty much all the ingredients to make an Initial D type game.

Here's what I have

1. A parking/racing engine that we built. The physics supports tons of vehicle variables, drifting and runs well on Android and iOS

2. Access to the following vehicle models:
AE-86 Trueno
Supra
Sileighty
RX-7
Silvia
Evo
WRX
GT-R

3. Accurate scale environment of Akihabara and some other japanese locations

4. 2D Anime style, text based story plugin

5. Full time Unity Developer

6. Excellent Anime artist who can do 2D and 3D work.

So anyway, I've been thinking a lot about making an Initial D style game with original story and characters. I'm gauging fan interest though. If I could get community behind this project, it would mean a great deal. I'd love to have fan input on story, characters, cars and environments. What do you guys think? Should I pull the trigger and start building it? Would anybody be willing to help test it or give input?

This post has been edited by RIT_ninja on Dec 28 2014, 05:24 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
Gunma's 34
Posted: Dec 11 2014, 10:29 PM
Quote Post

a.k.a. MyogiWarrior34

Member No.: 4,759

I'm willing to give my plot / storyboard/characters for massive revisions for this project. COUNT ME IN.

To make the storyboard realistic, if there is say a story mode revolving around a plot character, not the player, they shouldn't be dominant and there should be a balance of gender with respects to reality - we don't need fanservice - we need a mirror reflection of the real world's community, which we gained inspiration from so cast balance is a must too. There should be skill growth - don't throw in overly dominant characters - inferiority to superiority should be our keypoint in character ability development. Mine has a lot of foul ups here and there but I'm willing to make necessary revisions to it.

But the Idea I have in mind is starting with the Mugen Epilogue where the protagonist initially is someone else (in my plot's case, Kogure) in a touge-breed car where the introduction takes place on How-to-play, then the final part of the tutorial is where he faces off against his main rival. Then traverse over to another protagonist (Tomo) for the rest of the story where he starts off with the same car but full bone stock and where he has to learn the ropes, etc.

This post has been edited by Gunma's 34 on Dec 11 2014, 10:59 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
Deskyx
Posted: Dec 11 2014, 11:22 PM
Quote Post

Closet Weaboo

Member No.: 10,078

If it's not another game where the mighty Japanese sports cars are nerfed heavily so that the AE86 can still remain competitive, then I say this game will be one of the best mobile racers ever.

This post has been edited by Deskyx on Dec 11 2014, 11:23 PM
PMEmail Poster
Kenzz
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 05:24 AM
Quote Post

i wanan b da berry best

Group: Core Members
Member No.: 5,492

I was also interested and have designed 2d sprites version of my own ID./MT android /pc fre to play and not pay to win game i have in store for the future. (unfinished and without an engine, still just sprites, bgms and documents done only)

I want to help as well. But not sure where I can start off to help with.
I lack programming skills, but I can design Sprites and SFX/BGMS in 8bit or actual electronic or multi-genred muic in FL STUDIO....

For now I can provide concept bgms.

PM
Shiroboi
Posted: Dec 18 2014, 09:09 PM
Quote Post

WME Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,136

Hey guys, Shiroboi here.

Yes, I'm creating an original fan-based racing game set in Japan. My team will be handling all actual code development but I'm looking to the community for fan input on characters, plot, music, cars and location selection.

I want to repeat that although this is inspired by Initial-D, I want this to be an original game. We can add our own elements, change up the formula a bit.

Unlike some Initial D games, this game will require you to actually drive and drift. We'll have vehicle classes to make sure that the cars are fairly equal in power.

We're also coming up on doing a much smaller type game with linear traffic driving gameplay that may be more similar to Wangan Midnight. I could take some ideas for that but code development will be limited. We can race in Tokyo at night and feature all Japanese sports cars. Should be fun.
PMEmail Poster
Gunma's 34
Posted: Dec 18 2014, 09:14 PM
Quote Post

a.k.a. MyogiWarrior34

You never mentioned anything about traffic in IDW. This piqued our interest even more! So, this'll cover both Shutokou and Touge areas?
Shiroboi
Posted: Dec 19 2014, 01:57 AM
Quote Post

WME Regular

Thought I replied to this already. Multitasking has its downsides.

For my parking game, we built most of the core game ourselves. I wanted a simple linear driving game that we could turn around quicker so I bought a linear driving game code. It can be set in the city so I think we could do more of a Wangan style traffic racer game. It has 5 unlockable cars and a nitro and magnet powerup. Pretty simple gameplay but I'm going to try to make it look as nice as I can. Doing these small racing games as a leadup will help me spread out the costs of aquiring everything we need to do the larger games.
PMEmail Poster
Shiroboi
Posted: Dec 22 2014, 10:50 PM
Quote Post

WME Regular

UPDATE!

New Concept Art Folder and Screenshots are up. Check them out!

Concept Art and Screenshots
PMEmail Poster
Gunma's 34
Posted: Dec 23 2014, 01:12 AM
Quote Post

a.k.a. MyogiWarrior34

So the story would be more like a visual novel, right? By chance, would you need voices for the characters? I can provide you some if you don't mind or if you're in need of such, my VA talent and others that I'm associated with.

I suggest making dialogue choices to give multiple endings and rival selections based on the players' decision - that way they're not confined to racing against just the same plot rival but to multiple ones depending on their choices.

I'm liking the progress bro. Keep it up.
Shiroboi
Posted: Dec 23 2014, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

WME Regular

For Voices, I'm thinking no. I mean we could have an occasional voice or effect but I'm not going to fill the whole game with audio. I plan on translating the game into Japanese and getting all the Japanese voice talent just wouldn't be possible on my budget.

The visual novel toolkit is pretty good from what I've seen and allows for a lot of custom scripting. It would be very possible that the visual novel be the core of the game with player choices leading up to an actual race sequence. Sort of like a choose your own adventure novel sprinkled with racing. Obviously that's more complex but the user may like the idea that they're participating in the story and their choices have outcomes in the game. Obviously alternate paths mean a lot more content and development time but I'm strongly considering it at this point. But first things first, we need a prototype. I'll be working on that today.

Thanks for the support!

This post has been edited by Shiroboi on Dec 23 2014, 06:12 PM
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll