Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

24 Pages  « 22 23 24  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.  Rate:  
> Oddmanout84's Z build, Not your Devil Z
Oddmanout84
Posted: Feb 26 2014, 04:12 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,693

LADIE AND GENTLEMENT

PROGRESS!!!

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 600. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 600. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

wha... oh wait... no... not much...
PMEmail Poster
Benovelence
Posted: Feb 26 2014, 04:30 AM
Quote Post

<3 InuSakuya~

Member No.: 5,032

nice...ETA when its actually hit's the road?
PMEmail Poster
JDMMA70
Posted: Feb 26 2014, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 123

L28ET goodness! Im curious how the fan is going to fit now
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Feb 26 2014, 09:58 AM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

The stock fan won't, unless the stock rad is swapped in place of that Koyo unit. Trying to find an E-fan that fits and pushes the CFM I want is a pain.

ETA is around the same as Halflife 3.

[ Post merged on Feb 26 2014, 10:01 AM ]
I don't know who this Hit guy is or where he keeps his road, though.

[ Post merged on Feb 26 2014, 02:52 PM ]
Ok.

So the "long version" of the story.

Last time I posted an image-heavy progress update, I was hinting at something. That hinting never really panned out, perhaps a consequence of my hubris. In essence, I lost focus and tried changing way too many things at once. I was running out of energy, and both the time and the money required to get the turbo motor back up and running. Since I had ripped everything else apart while the machine shop was taking their sweet time cleaning up my block, there were now all sorts of half-finished projects.

Rust control. Sunroof delete. Rewiring and fitting of 240z signal lights. Installing the CBR-XXX fuel filler. 240z dash refurbishment and fitting. Switch panel. All of these distractions gave me a lot of time to think, and my ADD got the better of me. I started becoming disenchanted with the L28ET, and the annoyances of Haltech. Lots of miscellany to wire, and a lot more componants to buy and wire to get the motor controlled and monitored the way I wanted.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 533. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Now, I have three L6 motors in the garage, as well as a junk KA24DE. The siren song of eBay caught me by surprise one day, and I ended up with a matched set of Mikuni 40phh's, a manifold, and three unmatched 44's. I'm not going to mention the ridiculously STEAL price I got them at, because someone might be liable to murder me just so they can one-up my purchase. So, I decided, "f**k turbo, I'm gonna do a budget build NA with carbs." I sold a lot of my "non-essential" turbo shit, but not all of it.

user posted image

In reality, it ended up being a pretty fail idea. I did all the machining at home, since one of my L6 blocks is still ridiculously close to factory spec (with xxx,xxx miles on it). Everything went extremely well; rebuilding the carbs, installing a 240z choke cable, the block cleaned up real nice, and I got a set of flat top pistons cleaned up and pressed in to match my old higher-comp N47. The exhaust was going to be a pain to remake with the Hooker Comp header I had from a swap meet, but not too bad. Shortblock balanced and assembled. Money depleted, just needed time.

user posted image

And time was getting short, because I had just a few months before I got married.

Then I checked the straightness of my N47 head again, for piece of mind before I assembled it. It was warped like a banana, just beyond the max allowable tolerance. It was fine last time I thought, which must mean I f**ked up my mics last time. I have another E88 that needs some work, and a perfectly straight P90, but I didn't want to make a low-comp pig of a motor....

So that motor mothballed en medias res, I reinstalled the L28ET and tried in vain to make it the getaway vehicle for my wife and I. Nearly happened, but not quite. Even with all the shortcuts and compromises (which I HATE doing), it wasn't enough. Needed the time to get my morning coat tailored, and the money to finance the wedding. So, the Zed has been nearly untouched since early November.
PMEmail Poster
Blue-Sensei
Posted: Feb 26 2014, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

I have no idea what I'm doing

Member No.: 7,637

....turn one of those blocks into a table..
PMEmail Poster
JDMMA70
Posted: Feb 26 2014, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 123

id rebuild one of those blocks just for fun
PMEmail Poster
MaikazeFD3S
Posted: Feb 27 2014, 10:29 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 3,055

I'm sorry to hear the car has had you running around like a mad man, however congrats on your marriage!

The L28 Turbo build looks neat, everything is very tidy and nicely finished. I love the color combination. Do keep us posted though I understand money and time are not on your side at the moment.

For the sake of small stuff, I take it your engine going back together is the one thing holding you back at the moment from real progress.
PMEmail Poster
Oddmanout84
Posted: Feb 27 2014, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Resident Alcoholic

QUOTE (Blue-Sensei @ Yesterday, 6:43 PM)
....turn one of those blocks into a table..

Maybe the KA block, it's pretty beat. Obviously rebuilt at least once, the guy who donated it to me ran it nearly dry. There's a clean, big end shaped chunk taken out of the bottom of one of the cylinder bores where it nearly threw a rod from oil starvation. Crank is toast, and now functions as the spine of a statue I welded .together along with the rods as legs (last minute cobbled university project that earned an A. Mandatory art classes are useless).

The block isn't unusable, though.

[ Post merged on Feb 27 2014, 12:43 PM ]
QUOTE (JDMMA70 @ Yesterday, 8:31 PM)
id rebuild one of those blocks just for fun

That's kinda what the carby L6 is for, though the fun costs a bit more money and some head work. I'll take my time with it and find a nicer cam while I'm at it. The way I've set the engine bay up is so that I can easily remove and install any of the possible future engine swaps I've had in mind with minimal modification.

Wires are separated into ecu and ignition/accessory bulkhead weatherpacks, lines, hoses and componants are mounted and routed out of the way. At least, in theory it should work...
PMEmail Poster
hamyamys
Posted: Feb 26 2019, 12:55 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,019

QUOTE (Oddmanout84 @ Jan 13 2009, 04:56 PM)
The engine got some love too.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/mea...gs/stuff147.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/mea...gs/stuff150.jpg
By the way, Duplicolor High Temp orange does NOT match VHT orange. fuk..

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/mea...gs/stuff151.jpg
New exhaust before painting

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/mea...gs/stuff164.jpg
Installed. Unfortunately, when I looked at it the other day, it looks like it will rub on the driver rear tire unless I install spacer (which I plan to do anyway). Who knows though, it might not. I was just gauging it by eye, never tried fitting the wheel to it.

Yeah i must say i am in love with this beauty seriously love to ride it some day - cheers mate (Y)
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options 24 Pages  « 22 23 24  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll